Chapter 17. Unspoken emotions

Evelyn felt the weight inside her grow with each passing day. She had always been the one to try to stay upbeat, to find glimpses of light in the everyday even when the darkness threatened to swallow her whole. But now, despite all her attempts to think positively, she couldn't escape the gnawing feeling of emptiness and longing. It was as if something within her was slowly but surely breaking, and she couldn't quite pinpoint what hurt the most.

Meeting Remus used to be the highlight of her day – the moment when the world felt a little lighter, when his warm smile and gentle demeanor made her feel special. But now, those encounters had turned into a form of torture. Each time she was near him, she was reminded of the unattainable – his kindness, his thoughtfulness, but nothing more. It was no longer a source of joy, but a constant reminder of how she felt for him, and how he didn't feel the same. How could he? She was just a student, a friend... nothing more.

The classes she once threw herself into with passion now felt overwhelming. Essays piled up, and she couldn't muster the energy to even start. Several of the teachers had discreetly mentioned that she was falling behind and needed to get her act together. But she found it hard to care.

Her sleep was poor, tossing and turning for hours before finally slipping into a restless slumber. And when she did wake up, she never felt rested. Her appetite was gone as well. Meals that used to be a pleasant break during the day had now become a chore. She forced herself to eat the bare minimum, but the mere thought of sitting down and eating with her friends made her feel nauseous. So she began to withdraw. Alice and Fiona had noticed something was wrong, but every time they asked, she brushed off their concern with a half-hearted smile and vague words about just being tired. They didn't believe her, but they also knew there was no point in pushing.

Jennifer had also tried talking to her, but Evelyn avoided the conversations. She knew her sister only wanted to help, but sometimes it was easier to be alone.

It was a gray and cold afternoon when Jennifer decided to take matters into her own hands. She could no longer stand by and watch her sister sink deeper into her darkness. She knew Evelyn's feelings for Remus were a big part of it, but there was more to it than that. Evelyn needed someone who could reach her, someone who could get her to talk – and Jennifer knew exactly who that person was.

So she now stood outside Remus Lupin's door, hesitating for a moment before knocking firmly. From inside, she heard the sound of a book being set down, and then footsteps approaching. The door opened, and there he stood, surprised to see her.

"Good afternoon, Miss Stirling," Remus said, a hint of surprise in his voice. "What brings you here?"

"Good afternoon, Professor Lupin," Jennifer replied, taking a deep breath. She could sense his concern, even though he tried to hide it. "I need to talk to you."

Before he could respond, she pushed past him into the room. Remus closed the door behind her, still puzzled. "Would you like some tea?" he asked, unsure of what else to do. Tea always seemed like a good start, right?

"Uh, okay," Jennifer answered, somewhat restlessly. She glanced around the room, as if looking for something to focus on.

Remus prepared the tea in silence, his thoughts swirling. Why was Jennifer here? And what was this about? He set two cups of tea down and sat beside her on the couch, his thoughts drifting involuntarily to Evelyn. Why wasn't she the one standing here? Was something wrong? Had something happened?

"So, what can I help you with, Miss Stirling?" he finally asked, taking a sip of his tea, only to quickly set it down when he burned his tongue.

"It's about my sister... Evelyn," Jennifer said quickly.

Remus flinched. Could Jennifer have figured out his feelings for Evelyn? He hoped not. But before he could think further, Jennifer continued.

"I know you're friends, she's told me. You might not realize it, but you mean a lot to her. She cares for you deeply." She paused for a moment, taking a deep breath. "As you've probably noticed, she hasn't been doing well lately... I don't know exactly why. I've tried talking to her, but it's no use. She shuts me out."

A wave of concern washed over Remus. He had indeed noticed that Evelyn wasn't herself, but he had thought it was the stress of school or perhaps something else he didn't know about. The idea that it was something bigger, something deeper, suddenly terrified him. What was he supposed to do? How could he help?

"You need to talk to her, Professor," Jennifer said with urgency in her voice. "I know she listens to you. You may not think you can make a difference, but you can. You have to try. Please... help me."

Remus felt the helplessness wash over him. What could he possibly say to Evelyn that would make things better? He was just a friend, and even though he felt so much more for her than he should, what would that change? But looking into Jennifer's eyes, he knew he couldn't say no.

"I... I'll try," he said quietly. "I don't know if she'll listen to me, but I'll do my best."

"She listens," Jennifer said quickly. "I promise you, she listens to you. You're probably the only one she's really listening to right now."

Remus nodded. "Okay. I'll talk to her. I promise."

"Thank you." Jennifer picked up her teacup and downed the contents. Remus smiled inwardly, worried that it was too hot, but Jennifer seemed unfazed. "And thanks for the tea."

She stood up and walked to the door, and before she left, she turned and looked at him with a serious expression.

"I trust you, Professor Lupin. Help her."

Remus nodded solemnly. "I'll do everything I can, Miss Stirling."

He followed her to the door. Jennifer looked at him seriously. "I trust you now. Goodbye, Professor Lupin." Remus nodded. "Goodbye, Miss Stirling.

When the door closed behind Jennifer, Remus remained in silence. His head was filled with thoughts spinning endlessly. Evelyn... Had he really been so blind to how poorly she was doing? He had seen small signs, of course – darker circles under her eyes, how she sat quietly in class, less engaged than usual. But he had thought it was just temporary. Stress or merely a typical slump. He had never imagined it could be this serious.

Remus sank back into the sofa, the tea in front of him slowly cooling as he pondered what Jennifer had said. Evelyn listened to him? How could she do that when he barely knew what to say? He felt as confused and helpless as he had during his own similar dark times, when he tried to hold it together but almost fell apart inside.

He sighed deeply and leaned back. He would need to talk to Evelyn; he knew that now. But what would he say? He wasn't sure what she needed to hear. But maybe, he thought, it wasn't about saying the right things, but just being there. Helping her understand that she wasn't alone.

The next day came and went, and Remus couldn't shake the thought of his conversation with Jennifer. His gaze involuntarily searched for Evelyn during lessons, and he saw it even more clearly now – how she sat like a shadow of herself. Other students laughed, chatted, and lived their lives, but Evelyn was silent, withdrawn. It was as if she was fading into herself, and it pained him to see.

He decided he could wait no longer.