𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚-𝒇𝒊𝒗𝒆

"Jen?" "Mm?" "I want to tell you something." "Okay?" "But you promise not to tell anyone? On your honor?" "Absolutely." "You know that I've met Remus. And that I like him..." "Yeah." "We... we kissed."

The two young women sit cross-legged on the bed in Jennifer's room, facing each other. The rays of the setting sun stream in through the window. Jennifer smiles.

"How wonderful!" "Yeah... And then we said we love each other..." "That's amazing!" "Mm. He's going to take me out to a restaurant next week." "How cozy." They smile at each other. "How are things going with Snape?" Evelyn wonders. Jennifer lowers her gaze and blushes. "It... it's going well," she mumbles. "But... has anything happened between you?" Evelyn asks curiously. "Well, yes, I'm not really supposed to say anything..." Jennifer says evasively. "Oh, come on, it's me, your sister! You don't think I'd gossip about it, right? Besides, I'm seeing a teacher too..." Evelyn tries to persuade.

"Yeah, that's true. Okay, fine. We kissed for the first time last fall and have kept seeing each other since then. Sometimes I even stay over at his place..." Jennifer says mischievously, her eyes gleaming.

"WHAT???" Evelyn exclaims. "You've been kissing and seeing each other for almost a year AND you sometimes stay over at his place??? Why didn't you tell me before??" So that's what she had been doing every time she "studied late at the library." Evelyn wants to stay over too! But with Remus, not Snape. She'll find a way to persuade him...

"He made me promise not to tell anyone," Jennifer says apologetically. "But I'm your sister! And I would NEVER spill the secret to anyone!" Evelyn complains. "I know, but Snape doesn't know you like I do. Plus, he's a bit paranoid," Jennifer jokes. "Haha, yeah, I suppose." "We should probably head down to our birthday celebration now," Jennifer reminds. "Yeah, right," Evelyn replies. They smile at each other again and go downstairs to celebrate their coming of age.

"SURPRISE!" There's a crowd of people when Evelyn and Jennifer come down the stairs. They had thought it would just be a small family gathering, but now a bunch of relatives are there, plus Alice and Fiona.

There's singing, cake, and gifts being handed out. Evelyn, Jennifer, their mom, Alice, and Fiona sit out on the porch.

"Thank you, Fiona, for getting Evelyn home in time for the surprise party! I was worried you'd stay out too long, that Evelyn wouldn't want to come home," their mom laughs. Evelyn nearly chokes on her drink. Jennifer pats her on the back.

"What do you mean, Mrs. Stirling?" Fiona asks, looking utterly confused. Jennifer kicks her leg under the table. "Ouch!" "Yes, Evelyn just couldn't stay home today; she simply had to go out for coffee with you," Mrs. Stirling says cheerfully. "Uh..." Evelyn and Jennifer give Fiona desperate looks.

"Uh... Oh! Yes, well... Oh. Exactly. We had such a nice time. Coffee. And then I made sure she got home in time before I came here myself. Exactly. Absolutely," Fiona babbles on. Mrs. Stirling doesn't seem to suspect anything, at least.

"And Alice, you two went to the zoo together? Evelyn hasn't told me how it was? Did you see any exciting animals?" Mrs. Stirling asks. Alice quickly glances at Evelyn and then smiles at Mrs. Stirling.

"Yeah, it was nice! We saw elephants and... yes, the wolves came really close, actually," she replies.

"Oh, how exciting! Personally, I love tigers, they're such magnificent creatures..." Mrs. Stirling continues talking about tigers and all sorts of things. After a while, Alice interjects as Mrs. Stirling pauses to catch her breath.

"Evelyn, that book you were going to show me? Could you show it to me now before we forget?" she says meaningfully.

"Uh..." Evelyn doesn't know where to go. "Yes, you girls do that. I'll go and talk to Uncle Thom!" Mrs. Stirling says happily. Evelyn sighs. "Okay." "We're coming too!" Fiona exclaims. So Evelyn, Jennifer, Fiona, and Alice head up to Evelyn's room. "Well?" Alice says sternly once they've all sat down. Evelyn and Jennifer exchange a nervous glance. "Well??" Alice says even more firmly. "What have you two been up to?" Evelyn and Jennifer stare at the floor, ashamed. "Evelyn... let me guess, this has something to do with Professor Lupin?" Alice asks.

Evelyn flinches.

"Wait! Wait, wait, wait... What do you mean, Professor Lupin?" Fiona asks. "What does he have to do with anything?"

"Isn't it obvious? There's been something going on between him and Evelyn ever since he started as a teacher at Hogwarts! Plus, I happened to run into the two of them when I was at the zoo. With my family," Alice replies, looking satisfied with herself as she glances at Evelyn. "Isn't that right, Evelyn? You and Lupin are together, aren't you?"

Evelyn stands there, speechless. "I... well, no... We're more just... friends..." she finally replies. "So you've never hugged or kissed?" Alice presses. If she had asked that yesterday, Evelyn could have truthfully said they hadn't kissed. But since then, a few things had happened. "Yes..." she mumbles at last.

Alice screams with laughter.

"WHAT??? How did I miss this?" Fiona asks, sounding upset. "But Jennifer..." Evelyn begins, but Jennifer gives her a warning look. "Uh... Jennifer had promised to keep it a secret. And you have to promise to keep it a secret too," 

Evelyn quickly changes her sentence.

"We promise, may a Dementor kiss us if we break our word!" Fiona and Alice say in unison. "Now..." Alice says. "... you HAVE to tell us EVERYTHING!"