Chapter XX

Chapter 20: Unspoken Tensions

I stepped out of the car, smoothing down my dress as I looked around. The school's courtyard was transformed for the dance, lights strung up between the trees and the soft hum of music drifting from the gymnasium. My heart beat faster, excitement and nerves mixing in my chest.

I walked through the crowd, and I spotted Jungkook and Taehyung near the entrance. Both were dressed to impress, Jungkook in a sleek black suit and Taehyung in a deep navy tuxedo that perfectly complimented his sharp features. They were laughing about something, and it made me smile.

"Hey, you two," I called out, approaching them.

Jungkook turned, his eyes lighting up. "Y/N! Wow, you look amazing."

"Yeah, seriously," Taehyung added, his voice soft but genuine. "That dress suits you perfectly."

I blushed slightly and smiled. "Thanks, you guys clean up pretty well too. Those suits... you're killing it."

Jungkook grinned, running a hand through his hair. "I know right? We put in a little effort."

We laughed together, the easy camaraderie settling in like always did, but I couldn't shake the curiosity gnawing at me. Tonight wasn't just a dance for Taehyung. He had told us he was going to be more open, more himself, but I could sense the tension in the way he carried himself.

I glanced at him, trying to gauge his mood. "So," I started, my voice casual but probing, "how are you feeling about tonight, Tae? It's a big moment, right?"

Taehyung's smile faltered for a moment. His fingers toyed nervously with the lapel of his jacket as he looked down at the ground. "Yeah... I guess it is."

Before I could ask more, Jungkook chimed in, clearly noticing the hesitation. "She knows everything, Tae. It's cool."

Taehyung's eyes flickered up to meet mine, his expression unreadable for a second. "You told her?" His voice wasn't accusatory, more surprised like he hadn't expected Jungkook to share that part of his life so easily.

"Of course," Jungkook said gently, a reassuring smile on his face. "Y/N's got our backs. She's not going to judge or anything."

I nodded, wanting Taehyung to feel comfortable. "Absolutely. You don't have to worry about anything with me."

Taehyung let out a breath he seemed to have been holding. "I know, I know... it's just... different. Saying it and then actually living it are two totally different things, you know?"

I nodded, understanding his internal struggle more than he realized. "I get it. It takes time to adjust and to feel fully comfortable. But tonight, you're surrounded by people who care about you."

Taehyung smiled at that, but it didn't reach his eyes. "It's just weird. I've been keeping parts of myself hidden for so long, it feels... vulnerable, I guess."

Jungkook placed a hand on his shoulder. "You're not alone in this, Tae. We're here with you."

There was a beat of silence, and I could see Taehyung processing Jungkook's words. His shoulders relaxed a little, the tension easing from his body. "Thanks," he murmured, his voice barely above a whisper. "I don't know what I'd do without you guys."

Jungkook chuckled softly. "Probably stress about everything even more."
We all laughed at that, the atmosphere lightening once again.

I leaned closer to Taehyung, my voice soft and encouraging. "Tonight's about fun, okay? Be yourself. You deserve that."