Chapter 1-2: A Fine Opportunity

In the Heartslabyul Dorm lounge, Ace is not very pleased to learn that he's not going on the trip, and is still mad on who actually did.

Okay, I know the reps have already been chosen, but... How is drawing lots REMOTELY fair?!" Ace says, annoyed.

"Oh, get over it, Ace. You're just jealous that you didn't get picked," Deuce says.

And Ace is still complaining, "Maaan! It doesn't make sense that Deuce of all people gets to represent the school! My grades are higher AND I'm a pro at schmoozing. I'm obviously the better pick."

"Indoor voice, Ace. You're distracting me from my packing," Riddle says, packing his things.

"Yeah, the packing you're doing because you also won the raffle!" Ace says.

"IKR?" Cater agrees, "Kinda sucks I didn't make the cut either. Fleur City would've been like, the hottest of all Magicam hotspots!"

"Couldn't you just stop by there the next time you go home to the Shaftlands?" Trey questions.

But Cater says, "You don't get it, Trey. I have to go during the once-a-year festival. Otherwise what's even the point?"

"Yeah, I wanted to party it up at the festival too," Ace says.

Trey sighs, "Good grief. Maybe it's better that Deuce and Riddle are the reps from our dorm. At least they take these things seriously," Then asks Deuce and Riddle, "Guys, make sure you're not forgetting anything. Did you pack your toothbrushes?"

"Trey, you've asked that seven times now," Deuce replies.

And Riddle says, "Despite the headmage's pitch, the purpose of this visit is to attend the social. Not to goof around. This is a fine opportunity to learn what manner of curriculum is offered at other arcane academies. Since I'm representing Night Raven College, I must ensure I comport myself accordingly."

"Yup, that's our housewarden... And I'll do my part to act like an upstanding honor student, boss!" Deuce says.

"Take lots of good pics, guys!" Cater says.

Then Ace says, "And you better not forget the gifts for your dormmates."

In the Savanaclaw Dorm Lounge, Ruggie is happily humming a tune as he makes sure he has his things for the trip. He has finished packing his things for the trip and is excited.

Soon, Jack walks over and asks, "Hey, Ruggie. Is that your luggage for the social?"

"Yup! Just finished packing," Ruggie says.

Jack notices the stuff Ruggie has and asks, "You're only staying two nights, right? Why the huge backpack?"

"Oh, there's just a change of underwear and a phone charger in there. The rest is empty space," Ruggie says.

"Why?" Jack asks.

'So I can bring back lots of stuff!" Ruggie answers, "Non-perishable food is a given, but there's gotta be other cool stuff in the Shaftlands that you can't find here. Way I figure, if I can pick up some cheap souvenirs over there, and then pitch 'em right when I get back..." and snickers, "Shyeheehee, I can smell the money already!"

Soon, they hear footsteps and turn to see Leona.

"An opportunist to the end, huh," Leona says, "Fine. All I ask is that you only bring back things you got through legitimate means."

'I know, don't worry!" Ruggie says.

"You look so excited. Wish I could've gone," Jack says.

"Did you wanna go to the social?" Leona asks.

And Jack says, "I was more interested in sizing up the other mages. The more rivals I meet, the better. I can't content myself bein' a big fish in a small pond."

"Maybe you would've been a better rep than the guy with thaumark signs in his eyes..." Leona says, and turns to Ruggie.

"Hey, what's with that look? I'm not giving up my spot to either of you!" Ruggie questions.

And Leona says, "I wouldn't go to some stupid social even if you begged me. You lucked out and got this opportunity, so make the most of it."

"Have fun over there, Ruggie!" Jack says.