Chapter 2-2: Simply Incomparable

The group soon arrives at the bakery and are amazed.

"Whoa, check out all the pastries!" Deuce says, astonished.

"This is like, 10 times bigger than any of the bakeries on Sage's Island... Actually, probably more like 20 times bigger!" Epel says.

"They do have a surprisingly large selection," Azul adds.

Then Rollo explains, "We have a long tradition of bread baking in Fleur City. Our flour has been milled by a windmill on the edge of town since the old days. Our bakers use the freshest flour, which shows in the final product. There are a number of famous bakeries here. More recently, they've started using a water mill on the Soleil to mill flour as well."

"Demand creates supply, and supply creates demand. A truly wonderful cycle. Now that I know every step of the process is done here, I'm even more interested in trying some," Azul says.

"I'm pleased to hear it. It's a privilege to be able to provide you with a glimpse into our culture," Rollo replies.

"Honestly, I could skip the history lesson and just bite into a whole honkin' loaf right now..." Epel replies.

"Yeah..." Deuce says, looking at the bread that he's practically drooling over it.

Then Azul says, "Come, now. Shouldn't you boys be taking this time to learn about Fleur City? I'm sure Riddle and Vil impressed upon you what a valuable learning opportunity this is. It's not all fun and games..."

They soon hear a stomach growling, making Azul stop.

"Okay, that wasn't me," Epel says.

"Me either, which means..." Deuce says and turns to Azul.

Azul remains silent on it, realizing that it's his stomach that is growling.

Azul calms himself and asks, "Rollo, which type of bread would you suggest we try?"

"He sure changed the subject quick... Who knew Azul's stomach could be that loud?" Epel replies softly.

Rollo says to Azul, "I would suggest these."

The group looks to see croissants sitting on purple napkins.

"Croissants?" Azul questions.

"They look a little plain compared to the other pastries. Like the ones filled with fruit and chocolate..." Epel says.

But Rollo says, "Croissants are special, though. They're filled with nutrients that invigorate the town folks' minds and bodies. And they are far superior to typical loaves of bread or baguettes. Their taste is simply incomparable. I always make a point of having a croissant on special occasions."

"After such a ringing endorsement, I feel I must try one." Azul says.

Soon enough, the group buys the croissants.

"Ooh, it's still warm. And it smells great..." Epel says, excited to have the bread, "I just can't wait! Down the hatch!" And eat it.

The others do the same.

Azul soon says, "It's..."

All three boys happily shouts, "FANTASTIC!" and are very amazed by the taste.

Azul then says, "What a distinctive wheaty flavor. I believe I'm tasting a blend of bread flour, cake flour, and whole wheat flour. Fresh butter and aromatic dough form layers, which gives the pastry an unbelievably light, crispy texture. The sweet glaze on top brings out the natural sweetness of the dough itself... All accentuated by a rich, salty butter flavor! I could eat a whole plate of these."

"I'm already eating one, but Azul's just making me hungrier... I'm gonna get another!" Epel says, eagerly.

Deuce feels the same, "Me too! In fact, I'll get two more!'

"You two sure have healthy appetites..." Azul says.

"What can I say? They're super good! You could get another too, Azul," Epel says.

"...That's all right. I prefer a more systematic approach to my energy intake," Azul answers, "Besides, I wouldn't want to fill up purely on bread. This place has wheat in abundance... And you know what that means, don't you?"

"h, nope, I don't follow," Deuce answers.

Epel says, "Neither do I. Go on and tell us, Azul!"

"Wow, you're so honest—maybe TOO honest," Azul says, "Being around you is throwing me off; it's probably because we don't run in the same circles... I was implying that Fleur City is also known for its sweet confections."

"Indeed we are. You really have done your research. There's a popular patisserie nearby. Allow me to take you there," Rollo says.