Chapter 2-3: Definitely Good, But...

Not long after, the group arrives at the other bakery

"Here we are," Rollo says.

Deuce soon smells something sweet, "I can smell the sugar. Oh, look! Trey's make me those things before! They were unbelievable! What were they called again...?"

"Financiers," Rollo answers, "They're made with wheat flour, almond flour, and browned butter."

"You can just see how buttery they are. I imagine they're a bit calorie dense..." Azul says.

Then Rollo says, "They taste as rich as they look—quite befitting, given the name 'financier.' You see how they look like bars of gold? They say those who eat them will line their pockets with riches."

"Riches, huh... Haha, sounds like the perfect treat for you, Azul!" Deuce says.

And Azul says, "I don't believe in leaving things to chance...but I suppose doing something for good luck couldn't hurt."

"What's the difference?" Deuce asks.

"Oh, there's a world of difference between simply hoping for providence while doing nothing and covering every possible base," Azul answers.

"I think I get it... Maybe?" Deuce replies.

"It means there's no point in crossing your fingers and hoping for good grades on a test if you didn't bother studying for it," Azul says.

"Oof..." Deuce replies.

Azul asks, "Rollo, are any of these treats supposed to improve test scores?"

"I'm afraid not," Rollo answers.

"Oh, too bad. Isn't that just terrible, Deuce?" Azul says.

Deuce cringes, "Rgh... I can't even argue with that..."

And Azul says, "A lesson learned, then—if you can't take the heat, get out of the patisserie. But if you're ever truly in need of help, my doors are always open."

Then Rollo says, "While we don't have any academic panaceas, we do have many other sweets. Lately I've noticed gluten-free confections growing more common. This right here is their best-seller."

Soon, Epel spots some macarons at the display.

Epel is amazed, "Whoa... Are those... Macarons?!"

"They certainly are, though a little oddly shaped," Azul says.

Indeed they are. They are macarons, but they're in an unusual shape and have unusual fillings inside. In fact, all of them seem to be shaped like bells.

"They're shaped like bells. They're meant to look like the Bell of Solace," Rollo answers.

"Ah, of course. They're small enough that I could just pop one in my mouth. I think I'll have one," Azul says.

Then Azul eats one of the macaron. The others begin eating them as well.

Deuce says it's good, "Mmm, it's nice and sweet! I should bring some back for the guys in Heartslabyul."

But Rollo says, "Unfortunately, macarons don't keep well. They're a treat people can only experience when they visit here."

"The yellow color was a good choice to evoke the bell. And the ganache filling is as refreshing as it is delicious. Ah, and I believe those are little nuggets of dried grapes and apples in there too. They look like colorful jewels," Azul says.

Epel eats them and says, "They're definitely good, but...not filling at all."

"Why do you look so unimpressed, Epel? I thought macarons were your favorite food," Azul asks.

"How'd you know that?!" Epel asks.

Then Azul says, "Likes and dislikes are the first thing you should look into when you want to get closer to someone. But was my intel mistaken? Would you prefer something with a stronger flavor profile?"

Epel quickly says, "No, I'm good! ...I think."

"Excellent, then my intel bears out. Go on, Epel. Have as many as you like," Azul says.

Epel giggles, "Haha, thanks... Haha..."