Two

I stood in the middle of my room, surrounded by piles of my belongings that I'd already gathered to pack. I'd been planning to use the time before Sebastian's arrival to finish packing, but now I found myself unable to move, my eyes fixed on the items I'd been carefully stuffing into a bag.

I knew I should continue packing, but my body felt heavy and unresponsive. My mind was a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions, each more tangled than the last. I could feel my heart beating faster as the reality of the situation sank in. I was leaving. Leaving my court, my home, and most importantly, my friends. Leaving Kian.

I looked towards the window, watching the rays of sunlight filtering in through the glass. The thought of saying goodbye to Kian made my stomach twist into knots.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice the soft knock on the door, or Kian's head peeking into my room.

"Hey," he said softly, his voice a soothing rumble.

I snapped out of my thoughts and turned to see him leaning against the doorway, a small smile on his face. "May I come in?"

I nodded, and he entered the room, closing the door gently behind him. He surveyed the half-packed bags on the floor before turning to me.

Kian was a stark contrast to me, his tall and muscular frame filling the room. His golden-brown hair fell in messy waves around his face, his tanned skin a product of endless hours spent outdoors. His blue eyes, always filled with a mixture of mirth and mischief, scanned my face, taking in my expression. Today, his usual roguish smile was replaced with a softer, gentler expression, tinged with a hint of sadness.

"You seem tense," he commented, his tone light but his eyes betraying his concern. He walked over to where I stood, his steps quiet against the hardwood floor.

I forced a small smile, trying to hide the maelstrom of emotions swirling in my chest. "I'm fine," I said, my voice sounding hollow even to my own ears. "Just... having a lot on my mind, I guess."

Kian raised an eyebrow, his expression knowing. "Sure you are," he said dryly. "You forget, I can feel your emotions, remember? You can't hide anything from me."

I sighed, my shoulders slumping in defeat. Kian was right, of course. With his empathetic abilities, he could sense my emotions with an accuracy that was almost unfair. "Fine," I admitted, "I'm not fine. I'm a mess. I'm scared, and confused, and...angry."

Kian's expression softened, his eyes filled with understanding. He placed a hand on my shoulder, his touch surprisingly gentle. "I know. It's a lot to take in. But you also have to be excited, right? Finding your mate is a rare and incredible thing. Not many fae get the chance."

"Excited?" I laughed dryly, the sound rough in my throat. "I don't know about that. I don't feel very excited right now. I feel like my life is being upended, and there's nothing I can do about it. Is that supposed to be exciting?"

Kian looked at me carefully, his hand still resting on my shoulder. "Being forced to leave your home isn't pleasant," he acknowledged. "But what about the bond? You can't deny that, can you? That pull you feel towards Sebastian...it's not something you can ignore."

"I know," I admitted softly, ducking my head to avoid looking him in the eyes. "I feel it. The pull, the connection...it's strong and it's real. But that doesn't make it easier. Leaving you, leaving my home...it feels like I'm losing a part of myself."

Kian squeezed my shoulder gently, a supportive gesture. "Look at the bright side," he said, a hint of humor in his voice. "You'll get to be the queen of the Spring Court. That's pretty impressive, isn't it?"