Eleven

The coliseum loomed before us, its vast expanse both impressive and intimidating. I had been here before, but today felt different. The tension between Emmaline and I was palpable, and I couldn't shake the feeling that she was still resentful towards me. As we walked into the arena, mu palms grew clammy with nerves. 

Sebastian led the way, his steps confident and deliberate. Emmaline followed, her face schooled into a scowl. Aaron walked quietly behind us, his expression as unruffled as ever. 

The sand-lined floor was smooth beneath our feet, the sound of footsteps echoing faintly in the open space. The walls of the coliseum were lined with lush greenery, vines and flowers creating an almost enchanting atmosphere. 

Despite the beauty of our surroundings, my focus was on the task at hand. I took a deep breath, steeling my nerves and preparing myself for the sparring session ahead. 

Sebastian turned to face us, his eyes scanning over each of us. Emmaline crossed her arms, her body language radiating a mix of annoyance and determination. Aaron stood quietly, his gaze unreadable. 

"Alright, let's begin," Sebastian announced, his voice cutting through the air. "Verena, you'll be sparring with me. Emmaline, you're paired with Aaron." 

Emmaline's frown deepened at the mention of her sparring partner, but she didn't protest. Aaron simply nodded, accepting his assignment. 

I took a step forward, my heart rate quickening. Sebastian took his position across from me, his expression serious. 

My nerves were still on edge, but I tried to push them aside and focus on the task at hand. I could feel Emmaline's gaze on me, but I refused to look her direction. 

"Ready?" Sebastian asked, his eyes locked on mine. 

I took a deep breath and nodded. "Ready," I replied, attempting to sound more confident than I felt. 

Sebastian gave a small smile, a flicker of something I couldn't quite read in his eyes. "Let's begin then," he said, assuming a defensive stance. 

I mimicked Sebastian's stance, my muscles tense. There was a moment of silence, as we sized each other up. Then, without warning, Sebastian lunged forward, a gust of air propelling him towards me. 

I reacted quickly, a burst of flame erupting from my palms to counter the air blast. The two elements collided in a display of power, creating a small explosion of heat and sound. 

Sebastian was unfazed, his expression barely flickering as he smoothly adapted to my counterattack. 

I tried to keep my focus, but my anxieties flickered in the back of my mind. I knew that Emmaline was watching, judging my every move. It was difficult to ignore the weight of his glare. 

Sebastian, sensing my momentary distraction, pressed his advantage. He flicked his wrist, sending a small tornado my way. 

I barely managed to deflect the tornado, my movements a bit sluggish. I cursed silently, annoyed at myself for letting my thoughts distract me. 

Sebastian smirked, clearly noticing my slip-up. He didn't say anything, but I knew he was enjoying pushing me to my limits. 

I gritted my teeth, determination flaring in my chest. I couldn't afford to let my guard down again. I had to prove to Sebastian, to myself, that I could hold my own. 

I gathered my mental energy, focusing on my telekinesis. In an instant, I had a large rock floating in the air, which I hurled at Sebastian. 

Sebastian dodged the rock with ease, his movements fluid and agile. He didn't retaliate immediately, waiting to see what I would do next.