Twelve

As we entered the grand halls of the Spring Court palace, I could feel the collective gaze of several faeries falling on us, their curious eyes taking in the sight of me and Sebastian walking side by side. Whispers and hushed murmurs filled the air, the Spring fae clearly talking about our presence. 

I tried to ignore the stares and whispers, focusing instead on Sebastian as he led me deeper into the palace. His steady and confident stride indicated that he was used to this sort of attention, but I couldn't help feeling like a fish out of water in this new and foreign environment. 

I tried to appear relaxed despite the lingering stares. I was used to their gawking by now, having been in the palace for a few days already. The lavish interior, with its rich decorations and opulent furnishings, had become less intimidating over time, but I still couldn't shake the feeling of being an outsider in this glittering world. 

The spring fae continued to whisper and watch us as we passed, some with open disdain in their eyes, while others regarded me with plain curiosity. The whispers and murmurs about me hadn't subsided since my arrival, and I could sense the disapproval and unease that my presence was causing amongst the court. 

The whispers grew louder as we neared a courtyard that looked out onto a sprawling garden. Some of them, gathered in small groups, seemed to be talking about me in not-so-quiet tones, their glances in my direction not subtle. It stung to know that I was the subject of such gossip and judgement, but I tried to maintain an outward air of indifference. 

Sebastian, walking beside me, didn't seem bothered by the whispering and gazes. With a small, reassuring smile, he took a quick glance over at the gathering faeries before turning back to me. "Don't mind them," he said low enough for only me to hear. "They don't know you, and gossip is their favorite pastime here."

I allowed myself a small snort of derision. "That much is clear," I muttered, glancing at the faeries in the courtyard, who were trying to pretend they weren't watching us while still maintaining their whispered conversations. 

"They'll talk about anything and anyone," Sebastian continued, his voice laced with wry amusement. "The more controversial your mere existence is, the more interesting a topic you make. You've definitely become the talk of the town here." 

"How charming," I quipped, unable to help a note of sarcasm in my voice. "I've always aspired to be the subject of gossip and scandal in unfamiliar courts. How did I get so lucky?"

Sebastian chuckled at my sarcastic reply, clearly amused by my dry wit. "Ah, the perks of being an outsider," he replied, his slips curving into a half-smile. "You've stirred up quite the commotion. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll win them over...eventually." 

I rolled my eyes, not convinced in the slightest. "And how long do you think that'll take?" I asked him, skepticism dripping from my voice. "A century or two?"

Sebastian let out a soft laugh. "Come on now, have a little faith," he teased. "I doubt it'll take that long. You just need to give them a chance to see the real you, not just the Autumn fae they've heard about." 

I couldn't help but snort again at his optimism. "And how do you suppose I do that when they're all too busy gossiping about me instead of actually speaking to me?"

Sebastian smiled. "Lucky you, then. It just so happens that we'll be throwing a party in a few days to celebrate the mate bond. It'll give you an opportunity to socialize with the Spring fae and witness our traditions firsthand."

My skepticism morphed into curiosity. "A party, you say?" I  asked, my interest piqued. "And I'll get to see your traditions in action? How exactly do you Spring fae celebrate?"