Thirteen

I followed Nyssa through the labyrinthine corridors, struggling to keep up with her long, purposeful strides. The silence between us was stifling, the only sound the echo of our footfalls bouncing off the stone walls. I stole glances at Nyssa as we walked, hoping to catch some hint of her expression, but her eyes remained fixed on the path ahead, her face a mask of stoic indifference. 

It was hard to tell if she was simply lost in her thoughts, her mind somewhere far away. Whatever the case may be, the weight of the oppressive silence was almost suffocating. 

We rounded the corner, stepping into a wide, arching hall lined with tall, narrow windows. The golden light that poured in through the glass cast a warm glow across the polished floor, making the air feel even more stifling. I stole a glance at Nyssa again, but her expression was still the same, her eyes unfocused and distant. 

I felt a small surge of frustration building in my chest. It was like walking alongside a living statue, someone whose very silence pressed down on me like a weight. 

We continued walking, the only sound the soft echo of our footsteps and the distant, muffled call of birds outside the windows, the silence and Nyssa's indifference beginning to gnaw on my nerves. I stole another glance at her, my eyes lingering for a moment on her firm jawline, her sharp, angular features. Why wouldn't she at least look at me? Why wouldn't she acknowledge my presence at all? 

Nyssa halted in front of a wide, arched oak door. I recognized it immediately - the door to my room. I'd only spent a few nights in here, but the sight of the familiar door made me feel a pang of relief. 

This felt like the longest walk of my life, and I was more than ready for a quiet, undisturbed night. 

I reached for the door, my hand resting on the cool wood of the handle. I turned it, pushing the door open. 

As the door swung open, I caught a glimpse of the interior of my room, cast in shadows by the dim, flickering firelight that glowed from a nearby hearth. It was just as I remembered: the wide, luxurious bed with its silk covers, the low, dark oak dresser and wardrobe, the tall windows that opened into the view of the courtyard below. 

I hesitated for a moment, watching as Nyssa gave me one last, brief nod before turning away. She began making her way down the hallway, her steps soundless. 

Taking a deep breath, I entered, closing the door gently behind me. The familiar room seemed to wrap around me with a comforting embrace. 

I realized with a pang of disgust that I was still wearing my sweaty, dirty training clothes, the fabric clinging uncomfortably to my skin. A hot shower sounded like the best idea in the world right now. 

I crossed slowly but directly to the en-suite bathroom, my muscles aching and weary. 

I was already stripping off my training clothes, discarding them in a pile on the floor. The thought of a hot shower, and being able to wash away all the sweat and grime that clung to me, was almost intoxicating. 

I turned the shower on, adjusting the temperature until the water was almost scalding hot. 

Stepping in, I felt the hot water pouring over my aching muscles and let out a low groan of relief. The heat was almost agonizingly good, seeping deep into my tired flesh. 

I let my head fall back, my eyes closing as the hot water poured down my face. The steam rose in curls around me, filling the air with a thick, sweet-smelling mist. Despite the heat, I almost felt shivers racing across my skin, my muscles beginning to relax and unwind. 

I stood under the water for what could have been hours, just letting the tension and stress of the day ease out of me. With each passing moment, I felt a little more relaxed, a little more at ease.