Eight

As Sebastian and I make our way through the palace corridors towards the kitchen, the weight of the meeting slowly lifts from our shoulders. We walk in comfortable silence for a few moments, both of us appreciating the peace and quiet after the intensity of the council room. 

As Sebastian and I walk into the kitchen, we are greeted by the comforting scent of fresh ingredients and spices. Sebastian looks around, scanning the area. His eyes finally fall on a figure bustling around one of the cooking stations. He gently touches my elbow, gesturing in the direction of the busy individual. 

I follow his gaze and spot a woman in a practical apron. Her movements are swift and sure as she expertly chops vegetables and checks on simmering pots. There's a sense of determination in her actions, but also a hint of something childlike, like she finds joy in her work. 

I smile at the sight of the cook, then turn to Sebastian, a curious tone in my voice. "If we have a royal cook, why did you make breakfast this morning?"

Sebastian gives me a lighthearted smirk, his eyes lingering on the cook for a moment. "I like cooking," he admits, a hint of pride in his voice. "It's a chance to be creative and try out new recipes. Plus, it's therapeutic to work with my hands and focus on something practical for a change, instead of politics and diplomacy." 

I nod, understanding this sentiment. "I get that," I say, a small smile tugging at my lips. "And the food was delicious, by the way," I add, nudging him playfully. 

Sebastian's smirk widens into a proud smile. "I can't take all the credit for that," he says, feigning modesty. "The cook here, Maleia, is a genius with ingredients. She shares many of her secret recipes with me, especially the ones for breakfast." 

Sebastian and I approach the busy cook, who is currently preoccupied with her work. He clears his throat gently, gaining her attention. She turns to us with a curious expression, her hands still working on the next step of her dish. 

Maleia is a petite woman with an aura of energy around her. She has a round, cheerful face, with a sprinkle of freckles across her nose and cheeks. Her black hair is tied back in a messy bun, but a few strands escaped, framing her soft features. Her eyes, while serious, are a striking green, and her manner of dress is practical and modest. 

Although she possesses a youthful charm, there's also a sense of wisdom in her expression. Her skin is smooth and fair, and her hands, though stained with a few spots of food, move with practiced ease. Overall, while not traditionally beautiful, Maleia possesses a friendly, approachable appearance, and an air of warmth and kindness about her. 

"Maleia," Sebastian says warmly, his voice interrupting her task. "I'm sorry to intrude, but I wanted to introduce you to someone special." 

The cook, Maleia, glances up from her work, setting down her knife for a moment. Her eyes dart between Sebastian and me, a questioning look on her face. 

"Of course, Sebastian," she replies respectfully, a hint of curiosity in her voice. "Who is this special someone?"

"This is Verena," Sebastian says, a hint of pride in his voice. "She's well, she's my mate." 

Maleia's eyes widen slightly at the revelation, a knowing smile tugging at the corners of her lips. 

"Your mate?" The cook repeats slowly, her eyes flickering between Sebastian and I. There's a hint of excitement in her gaze now. "That's wonderful news," she says, her voice light and cheerful. "Congratulations to both of you." 

Her gaze drifts over me, taking in my appearance, before returning to Sebastian. There's a glimmer of intrigue in her green eyes as she studies the two of us together.