5

Ava
July 2023
Sunday Morning

"Are you expecting someone?" My father asks, I smile then shake my head no. I put my attention back on the choir singing.

Once they finish my father goes up to start his sermon, I try my best not to nod off, I was up all night looking for a space to rent for my business, plus I had to be here at seven to open the doors for Sunday school. I'm physically and mentally exhausted.

I catch Shara throwing glances at Duke throughout the entire service, I'm surprised that Megan isn't here. She is a very busy person so I guess I'd gotten my hopes up.

Two hours go by before church is dismissed, I thank the new members for joining then I start collecting my things to leave.

"Hey Ava." Jonathan gets my attention

"Hey."

"I came to apologize about what I said a few weeks ago, I had no right to overstep."

"I accept your apology." I give him a hug

"What are you doing when you leave? My mother is making Sunday dinner if you want to come by, you know she loves you like a daughter."

"I would love to but I'm helplessly tired, how about next Sunday?"

"I'm gonna hold you to that, your father wants to see you before you leave."
I nod then pack up my bag then go to my father's office. The door is open, his secretary Vivian is lightly rubbing his shoulder, when she sees me she yanks her hand away.

She leaves the room and shuts the door behind her.

"What is this I'm hearing about Megan Pete giving you money to fund this business venture of yours."

"I applied for a grant, her foundation likes my business plan and decided to help with the funding." I say with happiness

"We had this conversation already, I told you that it wasn't a good time for you to be thinking about anything other than your duties here as my daughter." His voice is stern

"You said that I needed a replacement, I'll find one so that the work load isn't too much on you."

"Give the money back, that's an order."

"Respectfully I'm not giving anything back, why can't you understand how much this means to me."

"You are being selfish Ava, Megan Pete is not who you think she is, that money she gave you will have to be paid back one way or another."

"Tell me, who is she, because you've been telling me that she's only been asking about her friend who was attacked, is there something else you're not telling me."

"She is a very dangerous woman, those thugs, the one she came here asking about, they work for her, they're menace to society. I will not allow you to accept any money from her. You are to cut all communication with her immediately."

"I can make my own decisions, I'm not declining the grant."

"What's gotten into you? Jonathan told me that you're going to clubs and dressing like some slut, don't you have any shame?"

His words hit me like a tone of bricks, soon as they leave his mouth I can see the regret on his face but he doesn't speak another word.

"Goodbye daddy."

I leave the church then pull off without saying anything to anyone. I can't believe he talked to me that way but I'm more frustrated at him calling me selfish, with everything that we've been through, I've sacrificed most of early twenties to be his helping hand.