Chapter 4: Falling Notes, Rising Feelings

The Seoul show was a massive success. The energy from the crowd, the perfect synchrony of their voices, and the flawless execution of every song brought a high that every member of Seventeen basked in. But even in the afterglow of their performance, Woozi couldn’t shake the feeling that something had shifted.

It wasn’t the music, or the fans, or the stage.

It was Seungcheol.

Woozi had always known there was something between them, something that went beyond friendship, beyond bandmates. But now, it felt like that something was pushing to the surface, demanding to be acknowledged. It scared him, how much Seungcheol meant to him. How much he relied on him.

After the concert, the members went back to their dorm to celebrate, their laughter filling the halls as they crowded into one of the suites. Mingyu and Seungkwan were arguing about who messed up the choreo during “Hit,” while Vernon and Jeonghan joked about everything and nothing. It was light-hearted, the kind of atmosphere that usually put Woozi at ease.

But tonight, his mind was elsewhere..

---

Woozi sat on the edge of the couch, half-listening to the banter between the members. The usual warmth he felt from these moments wasn’t reaching him tonight, not like it normally did. His gaze kept flickering to Seungcheol, who was laughing along with the others, looking perfectly at ease. But there was something different in the way Seungcheol glanced at him every so often, like he was checking in without making it obvious.

That quiet, subtle care.

It was comforting and terrifying all at once.

Woozi swallowed thickly, his mind racing with the weight of emotions he had been keeping locked away for too long. He had always known Seungcheol cared deeply for the members, for him. He had always known that Seungcheol was there, like a constant, steady rhythm in his life. But lately, it felt like something more.

And that something more was the part he wasn’t sure how to handle.

“Jihoon-ah,” Jeonghan called, pulling Woozi out of his thoughts. “You’re spacing out. Thinking about music again?”

The teasing tone was familiar, but it still made Woozi flinch slightly. He forced a smile, shaking his head. “Just tired, I guess.”

Jeonghan raised an eyebrow, clearly not buying the excuse, but he didn’t press. “Well, take it easy. You deserve a break, too.”

Before Woozi could respond, Seungcheol’s voice cut through the room, low but filled with authority. “Alright, guys. I think it’s time we wrap it up. We’ve got an early flight tomorrow, and I don’t want to deal with a bunch of zombies.”

There were groans of protest from Mingyu and Seungkwan, but eventually, everyone started gathering their things, the celebratory energy winding down.

Woozi stood to leave, ready to retreat to his own room, but Seungcheol caught his arm before he could slip away.

“Jihoon,” Seungcheol said softly, his voice just loud enough for Woozi to hear. “Can we talk?”

Woozi’s heart skipped a beat, and for a moment, he thought about brushing it off, making some excuse about being too tired. But the look in Seungcheol’s eyes told him that this wasn’t a conversation he could avoid any longer.

He nodded, and Seungcheol gestured for him to follow. They walked in silence through the quiet halls of their dorm until they reached the rooftop—the same place they had sat together just a few nights before. The cool night air hit them as they stepped outside, the city lights twinkling below them like stars.

Seungcheol leaned against the railing, crossing his arms as he stared out at the skyline. Woozi stood beside him, waiting for him to speak, but the silence stretched on. It wasn’t uncomfortable, but it was heavy. Full of things left unsaid.

“I’ve been thinking,” Seungcheol finally said, his voice low and careful. “About us.”

Woozi stiffened at the words, his heart pounding in his chest. He had expected this—had known it was coming—but hearing Seungcheol say it out loud made it feel real. Too real.

Seungcheol turned to face him, his expression soft but serious. “Jihoon… I care about you. More than I probably should.”

Woozi’s breath caught in his throat, and he looked down at his hands, fidgeting nervously. “Seungcheol—”

“Let me finish,” Seungcheol interrupted gently. “I’ve felt this way for a long time, but I didn’t want to push you. I know how much pressure you put on yourself, and the last thing I want is to make things harder for you. But… I can’t keep pretending that I don’t feel something more between us.”

The words hung in the air between them, and Woozi felt his chest tighten. He had always been good at bottling up his emotions, at pushing them aside for the sake of the music, for the sake of the band. But now, standing here with Seungcheol, he couldn’t ignore it anymore.

Because he felt it too.

“I don’t know what to say,” Woozi whispered, his voice barely audible. His hands were trembling, and he clenched them into fists to steady himself. “I’ve never been good at… this.”

Seungcheol smiled softly, stepping closer. “You don’t have to say anything, Jihoon. I just need you to know that I’m here. I’ve always been here.”

The warmth in Seungcheol’s voice, the quiet sincerity—it broke down the last of Woozi’s defenses. He looked up, meeting Seungcheol’s eyes, and for the first time in a long time, he let himself be vulnerable.

“I’m scared,” Woozi admitted, his voice shaking. “I’m scared that if I let myself feel this, I’ll lose control. That everything I’ve worked for will fall apart.”

Seungcheol’s expression softened, and he reached out, gently taking Woozi’s hand in his. “I know you’re scared. And I can’t promise that everything will be perfect. But I can promise that I’ll be here with you, no matter what.”

Woozi’s heart raced as Seungcheol’s fingers intertwined with his own. The touch was soft, comforting, and it made something inside him loosen, like a weight being lifted off his chest. He didn’t know how to do this, how to navigate these feelings, but with Seungcheol standing beside him, it didn’t feel as impossible.

For a long moment, they stood there in silence, their hands clasped together as the night stretched on around them.

“I’m not good at this,” Woozi said quietly, his voice still trembling. “But… I don’t want to push you away.”

Seungcheol smiled, a small, tender smile that made Woozi’s heart ache in the best way. “You don’t have to be perfect, Jihoon. I’m not asking for that. I just want you to let me in.”

Woozi’s chest tightened, but this time, it wasn’t from fear. It was from the overwhelming warmth that Seungcheol brought into his life, the quiet strength he offered without expecting anything in return. It was terrifying, but it was also the most comforting thing Woozi had ever known.

“I’ll try,” Woozi whispered, his voice barely audible. “I’ll try to let you in.”

Seungcheol’s smile widened, and he gave Woozi’s hand a gentle squeeze. “That’s all I need.”

---