Chapter 28

Nora’s POV:-

My grandmother makes a choking noise as if she can't breathe and clutches her chest.

“I think she's having a heart attack!” Nadine screams.

“No, she’s not. Don’t panic.” I tell her.

Luckily the nurse comes in just then. Thankfully it’s not anything serious. Grandma’s given a sedative and she’s told to rest. Except she’s too busy crying to do that.

“It’s all my fault. I am so sorry,my child.” She grips my hand in her frail ones.

“It’s not your fault Grandma if there’s anyone to blame it’s me,” I tell her.

“If I hadn’t insisted you go with Kevin to that function you would never have run into Derek. And now because of my past, God knows what he will do to you.”

“Because of you at least he has a reason to keep me alive or he would have killed me today. After all, I tried to contact the police and I probably bruised his ego when I tried to get away from him. A psychopath like him wasn’t going to spare me so easily after that.” I squeeze her hand.

“You called the police because of what I said that day right? Thanks to me he’s more pissed at you than ever.” Nigella hides her face in her hands.

“Would all of you stop blaming yourselves? None of this is our fault. We didn’t ask for this psycho to come into our lives!” Nadine says looking frustrated.

I don’t think Grandma and Nigella are to be blamed but I am not so sure about myself.

Once I have made sure Grandma’s sleeping peacefully and I have sent the girls away to get something to eat from the cafeteria I go out into the lobby in search of Derek. I am unable to find him anywhere and for a while I think he’s gone until I spot him standing in the garden outside.

As if he senses my presence he turns around and stares straight at me. I don’t hesitate as I slap him hard on the face. I lift my hand to slap him again but he grabs my hand before I can do so.

“Careful. Don’t press your luck. If you make me angrier than this it might not end well for you and your family.” He smirks at me.

“What do you plan to do once we are married? Rape me? Force me to have your kids just to spite my grandmother? Or do you want to have us all beg you some more?”

“I am not a rapist I thought I already made it clear to you. I have never even paid a woman for sex because it goes against my dignity to make a woman sleep with me for any reason other than that she wants me.” I don’t know why he’s acting all self-righteous and offended all of a sudden.

“Besides I don’t need to do that even if I was as disgusting as you imply. I could just seduce you.”The obnoxious smile on his face returns.

“I won’t mind you and your precious grandmother begging me some more though. I like having people beg me. I like the sense of power it brings.” 

“You are such an insecure coward that you need to pick on those weaker than you to make you feel powerful! You disgust me.” I spat in his face.

“What do you have to say about yourself? You don’t even know what you want! You claim to love me yet you try to stab me in the back the first chance you get! I might have let your grandmother live her life in peace if you hadn’t tried to contact the detective! If you hadn’t tried to run away from me like the coward you are! It is actually you who brought this upon yourself and your family.” He growls.