Chapter 29

Nora’s POV: -

The ride to Pegasus Towers is uneventful. I just continue to stare out the window and not look at Derek. He thankfully keeps his mouth shut and doesn’t try to make conversation with me. As we ride the elevator up to the penthouse, I wonder how I am going to be able to live with him after everything he has done. Will he insist we sleep in the same bedroom?

The penthouse looks exactly the way it did when I last came here. I can’t help but remember how we ate food together on the balcony and how Derek got me to dance with him. I had stormed away after telling him to take back the painting he gave me and disappear from my life forever.

I didn’t know it was a fond memory for me till now. Back then, I pushed Derek away, but his attention also thrilled me. My life had become something interesting for the first time. Derek’s attention filled me with both terror and excitement simultaneously. Now I just felt terrified of him.

“You can sleep in the guest room on the first floor.” I breathe a sigh of relief at his words.

He sits down on one of the black Chesterfield sofas, and I notice the gash on his right hand. It’s like he punched something really hard, like glass or a mirror. As I look around, I realize that the huge gilded mirror which used to decorate the hallway was gone. I wonder if that has anything to do with the injury on his hand.

I don’t ask him about it though and quietly head upstairs.

The guest room is twice the size of my bedroom back at home. Besides the enormous bed with side tables on both sides, there are also comfy sofas and a huge TV. One side of the room is completely covered with floor-to-ceiling glass windows.

I can even see a helicopter flying in the distance and far away I see boats moving along the vast river that passes through the middle of the city. Even the bathroom looks like something out of a magazine with black marble walls, flooring, chrome fixtures, and a massive walk-in shower.

Once upon a time, I would have been filled with incredible excitement at the thought of living here. But now I felt nothing except shock and resentment that someone habitual of ruining other people’s lives got to live in such luxury. I was like a bird in a golden cage.

I spent most of the day inside my room lying on the bed and just staring at the roof. Neither do I care to change or head to the bathroom. I am so weary I can barely move. It’s more than just exhaustion. It could be depression too. The last time I felt this way was when my parents died.

There’s a knock on my door, but I don’t respond. The person knocks again, this time more forcefully, but I still don’t say anything. Finally, the door opens and Derek barges into my room.

“You haven’t eaten anything all day. Come downstairs and eat dinner.” He’s ordering me around like I am a kid and he’s my dad.

“I ate breakfast. I won’t starve if I don’t eat dinner. Don’t worry, I won’t die on you before the wedding.” I say sarcastically.

“I know you are avoiding dinner because you don’t want to see my face. I will send the food to your room.”I ignore him entirely, and as a result, he leaves the room."