Clearing the Air

March 23rd, 5 AM

I woke in a cold sweat, my heart was pounding, and I felt like I couldn't breathe.

"Park! Are you alright??" Octavia burst into my room,

"I'm okay, just a bad dream," I recently started being haunted by the events that unfolded last Christmas, it was getting worse. "Did I wake you or something?"

"Parker, you were screaming bloody murder," funny choice of words.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you," I rubbed my face trying to shake the chilling goosebumps that grew throughout my body.

"It's okay, why don't we talk about it over some coffee?"

5:30 AM

Octavia lifted the kettle off the stove after it whistled, "so what's been going on?"

"I found out something that I have been struggling with," I was staring into my coffee, my fingers grew cold as my heart began to race. I wasn't sure how she was going to take it. "Ruby and I went on a date a few months ago, he told me there was some... controversy between our parents not too long before we were born and that's why our fathers hate each other," I told her the whole truth about Ace and everyone involved and how it has been hurting me.

"Wow, that is... crazy, I can't believe it."

"Neither could I, that's why my father and I haven't been getting along, I don't know how we will get through this."

"I don't even know what to say, would you have gone through with it if you had known?"

"I don't know, I would think so because he is such a horrible person, but the other side of me wonders if I would have tried to create a sibling relationship with him? I don't know, this all has my brain so messed up."

"I can understand, it really fucked with my head, I still replay that night, but in a weird sense it settles me."

"It never bothered me till I found out we were related. I just wish there were no more secrets. My father has gotten me so screwed up." I said putting my face in my hands.

"Preach to that one," Octavia rubbed my back as we sat in silence drinking our coffee.

12 PM

Ruby had asked me out to lunch, but we hadn't talked about leaving since he asked me, I have tried avoiding the subject.

"Baby," he said grabbing my hands in his, "I'm not trying to force you to go anywhere you don't want to go, if you choose to stay, I will stay too."

"I know, I just need to try to clear the air with my father before I decide."

"I understand."

5 PM

I knocked on his office door, I was clammy, and terrified, our last conversation, he kicked me out for being with Ruby. I can't imagine how he will react when he finds out I want to leave with him.

"Come in," his deep voice boomed from inside.

Here goes... everything.

"Dad?" I said shakily peeking around the door, his eyes shot up.

"Parker?" He seemed surprised,

"Can we talk?"

"Sure. Come in."

"I would like to discuss our last conversation, it ended poorly and I would like to clear the air."

"Okay"

"I don't think it is fair of you to take your anger out on Ruby when your real issues are with Roberto."

He didn't say anything for a moment. " I see what you are saying, but I'm not sure I agree."