𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 18

The buzzing hallways of Hanbin’s old school felt eerily still to him as he walked toward the principal’s office, his steps heavy with the weight of his decision. It wasn’t something he had made lightly, but it was something he knew he had to do. Hao mattered more to him than anything else, and the thought of not being by his side, especially as his condition worsened, was unbearable.

When he reached the office, Hanbin took a deep breath before knocking. The principal, Mr. Jung, looked up from his desk when Hanbin entered, a polite smile on his face.

“Hanbin,” Mr. Jung greeted him. “What can I do for you?”

Hanbin’s heart raced as he spoke, trying to keep his voice steady. “I’d like to drop out of school, sir. I’m transferring.”

The smile fell from Mr. Jung’s face, replaced by a look of surprise. “Transfer? But why? You’re one of our top students—this is quite sudden. What’s going on?”

Hanbin had anticipated this reaction, but it didn’t make it any easier. “It’s personal. There’s someone… someone who needs me, and I need to be there for them. It’s the right decision for me.”

Mr. Jung looked at Hanbin closely, sensing there was more to the story, but he didn’t press for details. “Are you sure about this? You’re giving up a lot, Hanbin.”

“I’ve thought about it,” Hanbin replied. “I know it seems like a big decision, but it’s the right one.”

After a long pause, Mr. Jung nodded. “If you’re certain, I’ll process the paperwork. I hope you’re making the choice that’s best for you.”

Hanbin nodded, feeling a mixture of relief and finality. He walked out of the office knowing that once he left this school, there would be no turning back. And that was okay—because Hao needed him more than anything else right now.

ᯓ★

The news spread like wildfire.

It didn’t take long before Hanbin’s decision sent shockwaves through the school, especially among his friends. Yujin, Hanbin’s younger brother, was the first to hear, and he could barely believe what he was hearing.

“What do you mean he’s dropping out?” Yujin asked, his voice tinged with disbelief. “He didn’t even tell me!”

Matthew, Hanbin’s closest friend, was equally stunned. “I don’t get it. Why would Hanbin just leave like this? Is something going on that we don’t know about?”

Gyuvin, who had been friends with Hanbin for years, was pacing back and forth, frustration clear in his voice. “He didn’t say anything to any of us! Is it because of Hao-hyung? They’ve been weirdly close lately.”

Jiwoong, usually the calmest of the group, shook his head in disbelief. “Hanbin’s been off ever since Hao’s illness became public knowledge. But dropping out? That’s… extreme.”

Gunwook, who had been sitting quietly, finally spoke up. “Hyung must really care about Hao. More than we realized.”

The group fell silent, each of them processing the weight of what had just happened. Hanbin had always been driven, focused on his studies, on being the best. For him to drop everything and transfer to another school for Hao—it spoke volumes about how much Hao meant to him.

Yujin’s expression softened, concern flooding his eyes. “I just hope he’s okay. I wish he’d told me… I would’ve supported him.”

“He’s doing what he thinks is right,” Jiwoong said quietly. “But yeah, this changes everything.”

Matthew let out a long sigh, running a hand through his hair. “We need to talk to him, figure out what’s really going on.”

As the group of friends stood in the hallway, the realization set in that Hanbin’s decision wasn’t just a temporary thing. He had made a choice that would change all of their lives, but none more than his own.

ᯓ★

Later that day, Yujin found Hanbin sitting alone outside the principal’s office, the official paperwork for his transfer in hand. He approached slowly, his heart heavy.

“Hanbin… is it true? Are you really leaving?”

Hanbin glanced up, the tiredness evident in his eyes. “Yeah, I am.”

Yujin sat down beside him, his voice quiet. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Hanbin sighed, guilt flickering across his face. “I didn’t know how to say it. I knew you’d try to talk me out of it.”

Yujin frowned. “I’m not going to talk you out of anything if it’s what you really want. I just wish I understood why.”

“It’s Hao,” Hanbin admitted, his voice barely above a whisper. “He needs me, Yujin. More than anything else, he needs someone to be there for him. And I’m that person.”

Yujin was silent for a moment, taking in his brother’s words. Finally, he nodded, understanding dawning on him. “If that’s how you feel, then I support you.”

Hanbin gave him a grateful smile. “Thanks, Yujin. It means a lot.”

As Hanbin left the school for the last time, he couldn’t shake the feeling that his decision, while difficult, was the right one. He knew there would be challenges ahead, but with Hao by his side, he was ready to face them.

ᯓ★

The rumors spread fast, reaching Hao by the end of the day. He was sitting with Taerae in the school courtyard when he overheard students whispering about Hanbin dropping out. At first, he thought he misheard, but the more he listened, the more real it became.

“Hanbin dropped out? Just like that?” a student near him said.

Hao’s stomach dropped. His mind spun, trying to piece together what could have possibly happened. Why would Hanbin drop out? They hadn’t even spoken much recently, and now he was just… gone?

“Hey, you good?” Taerae asked, noticing the way Hao had frozen in place. “You look pale.”

Hao blinked, trying to shake off the growing panic inside him. “I just heard… Hanbin dropped out of school.”

Taerae frowned. “What? That can’t be right. Why would he drop out?”

“I don’t know,” Hao said, his voice tight with confusion. “It doesn’t make sense.”

He stood up abruptly, the need for answers pushing him to move. “I need to find out what’s going on.”

Taerae followed him, concern etched on his face. “Wait, babes, calm down. Maybe there’s an explanation.”

But Hao wasn’t calm. He was anything but calm. He needed to know why Hanbin would do something so drastic without telling him. It felt like a betrayal, like a part of their lives had been ripped apart without his consent.

ᯓ★

Later that evening, Hao paced back and forth in his room, his phone clutched tightly in his hand. He had tried calling Hanbin twice, but each time it went straight to voicemail. His mind raced, questions circling around with no answers.

Why didn’t he tell me?

Why would he just leave like that?

A mix of anger and hurt twisted inside of him. They had been getting closer, even if things had been complicated. Hanbin knew about his illness, knew things had been hard for him, but this? This was out of nowhere. He couldn’t wrap his mind around it.

Finally, his phone buzzed. A message from Taerae.

ᯓ★

I took a long break since exams, assignments were piling uppp 🥲