𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 25

During lunch, Hao finally spots Hanbin sitting alone in the classroom. His back is turned, and from his slumped posture, it’s clear that something is still bothering him. Hao knows this is his chance. He takes a deep breath, gathering his courage, and walks over to Hanbin’s desk.

“H-Hanbinnie,” Hao starts, his voice tentative, “can we talk?”

Hanbin tenses at the sound of Hao’s voice but doesn’t look up right away. He stays silent, fiddling with his pen, not wanting to meet Hao’s eyes. Hao takes that as an invitation to keep talking, though the coldness in Hanbin’s demeanor makes his stomach churn.

“I wanted to apologize,” Hao continues, stepping closer. “About everything. I never meant to… make you feel like I was rubbing my grades in your face or anything. I’ve just been—” Hao hesitates, unsure of how much to say. “I’ve just been focused on doing my best, but I can see how that might’ve made things harder for you.”

Finally, Hanbin looks up, his gaze hard and unreadable. He doesn’t say anything for a moment, his jaw clenched tightly. Hao can feel his heart sink a little more with each second of silence.

“You don’t get it,” Hanbin says quietly, but there’s an edge in his voice. “It’s not about you rubbing anything in my face. It’s the fact that no matter how hard I try, I’m always behind you. Always second.”

Hao’s heart twists. He hadn’t realized how deep Hanbin’s frustration went. He’s silent for a beat, guilt gnawing at him. 'Love, I thought we left that behind, I thought that didn't matter anymo—”

“Maybe it doesn't,” Hanbin cuts in, his voice low and simmering with anger, “but that doesn’t change the fact that I feel it. Every. Single. Time.”

Hao doesn’t know what to say. Hanbin’s words sting, and Hao can feel his own frustration bubbling beneath the surface. How could he have known that being the top student, something he worked so hard for, would create such a rift between them?

“You don’t know what it’s like,” Hanbin continues, his hands clenched into fists on the desk. “You’re just naturally good at everything. You don’t have to try, but I’ve been breaking my back to catch up to you, and I can’t. No matter how much I study or how late I stay up, it’s never enough.”

“That’s not true,” Hao interrupts, trying to keep his voice steady. “I work hard too, Hanbin. Just because I—”

Hanbin stands up abruptly, cutting him off. His chair scrapes against the floor, the sound harsh in the tense atmosphere. “Don’t act like you know how I feel. You don’t. You’ve always been ahead, and I’ve always been stuck chasing you.”

“Hanbin, wait!” Hao calls after him, his voice breathless but resolute. “Please, let’s just talk—”

Hanbin whirls around, his eyes blazing with fury. “Talk? What’s there to talk about, Hao? How you’re always first and I’m always the loser in second? Is that it?”

Hao stops in his tracks, stunned by the venom in Hanbin’s voice. “That’s not what I meant. I just wanted—”

“You always want something, don’t you?” Hanbin snaps, his voice harsh and bitter. “You want to be the best, the perfect student, the one everyone praises. You’ve got it all, and you don’t even realize it!”

Hao opens his mouth to respond, but Hanbin cuts him off, stepping closer, his anger radiating off him in waves. “You have no idea how it feels to always be compared to you. No matter what I do, I’m never good enough because I’m not you. It’s always ‘Hao this,’ ‘Hao that.’ I’m tired of it!”