𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 28

The next day, Hanbin and Taerae returned to the hospital, their hearts heavy with anticipation. They had spent the night discussing Hao’s condition, and although the relief of him waking up had soothed their worries, a lingering dread filled the pit of Hanbin’s stomach.

As they entered the hospital room, the atmosphere felt different. The air was thick with unspoken tension, and the usual bright light seemed muted. Hao lay in the bed, his face pale, but his eyes sparkled with warmth as he spotted his friends.

“Hey,” he said softly, a small smile spreading across his face. “You guys came back.”

“Of course, we did,” Taerae replied, taking a seat on the edge of the bed. “How are you feeling?”

“Better, I guess. Just waiting for the doctor to come in,” Hao said, his voice slightly shaky.

Just then, the door opened, and the doctor stepped in, clipboard in hand. “Good morning, Hao. How are you feeling today?”

“I’m okay, just tired,” Hao replied, forcing a smile.

The doctor nodded, glancing at Hanbin and Taerae before turning back to Hao. “We did some tests overnight and reviewed your case in detail. Unfortunately, I need to inform you that you’ll require surgery to address the underlying issues we’ve discovered.”

The words hit Hanbin like a punch to the gut. He felt his heart race, and he exchanged a worried glance with Taerae, who looked equally alarmed. “Surgery?” Hanbin echoed, his voice barely above a whisper. “Is it serious?”

“It’s a routine procedure, but it’s important we address it to prevent future complications,” the doctor explained. “We’ll monitor you closely, and you’ll be under anesthesia for a short time. Afterward, the recovery process will take a few weeks, but you should be able to resume normal activities with some care.”

Hao nodded slowly, but Hanbin could see the uncertainty in his eyes. “What if something goes wrong?” Hao asked, his voice trembling slightly.

“Every surgery carries risks, but we have a highly trained team, and we’ll take excellent care of you,” the doctor reassured him. “It’s understandable to feel anxious, but it’s important to focus on getting better.”

As the doctor stepped out to allow them a moment, Hanbin’s heart raced. He couldn’t shake the feeling of dread at the thought of Hao undergoing surgery. He needed to be there for him, to support him in any way he could.

“Hey,” Hanbin said softly, leaning closer to Hao’s bed. “You’re going to be okay. I’ll be right here with you every step of the way.”

Hao looked up at him, vulnerability shining in his eyes. “What if I don’t wake up?” he whispered, the fear evident in his voice.

“Stop it,” Hanbin said firmly, reaching out to hold Hao’s hand tightly. “You’re strong. You have to believe that. I’ll be right here when you wake up. I promise.”

Hao nodded, his grip tightening around Hanbin’s hand. “Thank you for being here, Hanbin. I don’t know what I would do without you.”

In that moment, the connection between them felt electric, and Hanbin leaned in closer, their faces just inches apart. “You won’t have to find out,” he said softly, the sincerity in his voice making Hao’s heart race. “I’m not going anywhere.”

With a surge of emotion, Hanbin leaned in and pressed a gentle kiss to Hao’s forehead, lingering for a moment as he felt Hao’s breath hitch. “You’re going to be okay,” he whispered again, feeling the warmth of their connection envelop them.

Taerae, sensing the moment between his friends, quietly excused himself, giving them the space they needed. As the door clicked shut, Hanbin’s heart swelled with affection.

“Hanbin,” Hao murmured, a soft blush creeping up his cheeks. “That was… nice.”

Hanbin chuckled lightly, feeling his own cheeks heat up. “Just trying to keep you calm, you know? You’re going to need all the strength you can get.”

“I’ll definitely need it,” Hao replied, his voice a little stronger now. “With you by my side, I think I can get through anything.”

As the time passed, Hanbin and Hao talked about everything and anything to distract them from the looming surgery. Hanbin shared stories about his recent schoolwork, and Hao laughed at his animated retelling of how he had accidentally spilled coffee on Taerae during a study session.

When the nurse came in to check on Hao, Hanbin offered to help with whatever they needed. “Is there anything I can do?” he asked, already rolling up his sleeves.

“You’re too sweet, Hanbin,” the nurse said with a smile, handing him a damp cloth. “Could you help wipe down his forehead? It’ll help keep him cool until we take him for surgery.”

With gentle care, Hanbin wiped Hao’s forehead, his fingers brushing against Hao’s skin. He could feel Hao’s eyes on him, and a soft blush crept up his cheeks. “You’re so annoying,” Hao said teasingly, a small smile playing on his lips.

“Yeah, but you love it,” Hanbin shot back, returning the smile as he continued to dab the cloth against Hao’s forehead. “Just think about how nice it’ll feel when you’re all better. We’ll celebrate, okay? I’ll take you to that new café you’ve been wanting to try.”

Hao’s heart fluttered at the thought.

“You promise?”

“I promise,”

Hanbin replied, determination shining in his eyes. “But you have to get through this first.”

With a newfound sense of comfort in Hanbin’s presence, Hao felt his anxiety start to ease. The minutes turned into an hour, and before they knew it, the doctor returned to explain the next steps.

As they prepared to wheel Hao to surgery, Hanbin stood by his side, holding his hand tightly. “I’ll be right here waiting for you,” he promised, looking deep into Hao’s eyes, willing him to see the truth in his words.

“I know,” Hao whispered, squeezing Hanbin’s hand back. “Thank you for everything.”

As they began to roll him away, Hanbin leaned in and pressed a soft kiss to Hao’s lips, feeling a rush of warmth. he murmured before letting go.

"See you soon,"