𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 21

The next day, the morning air was crisp, and the sun had just started to rise over the horizon. Hanbin sat behind the wheel of his car, tapping his fingers nervously against the steering wheel as he glanced at the passenger seat. Hao was sitting there, his head resting against the window, staring blankly outside. He looked pale, more exhausted than usual.

Hanbin cleared his throat, breaking the silence. "You okay?" he asked, trying to sound casual, but his worry bled through.

Hao didn't look at him, only nodding slightly. "Yeah, just tired," he muttered.

Hanbin wasn't convinced, but he didn't push it. He'd noticed how weak Hao had looked the past few days, and when Hao had casually mentioned needing to pick up his medication, Hanbin had immediately offered to drive him to the pharmacy.

The car ride was quiet, with only the faint sound of the radio playing in the background. Hanbin kept stealing glances at Hao, his mind racing with a million questions. He knew Hao wasn't telling him everything-knew that there was more going on than just "feeling tired"-but he didn't know how to bring it up without making things worse.

As they pulled into the pharmacy parking lot, Hanbin parked the car and turned off the engine. "We're here," he said quietly.

Hao nodded again, still looking distant, as he unbuckled his seatbelt and stepped out of the car. Hanbin followed, watching as Hao made his way toward the entrance, his steps slow and deliberate. It hurt to see him like this-so different from the Hao he used to know, the one who always seemed strong and untouchable.

Inside the pharmacy, the smell of medicine and disinfectant filled the air. Hao moved toward the counter, handing over a small prescription slip to the pharmacist. Hanbin stood by the door, watching carefully, his heart tightening as the pharmacist nodded and disappeared into the back to retrieve the medication.

A few minutes later, Hao was handed a small brown paper bag with his prescription inside. He stuffed it into his backpack and turned to leave without saying a word.

As they walked back to the car, Hanbin couldn't hold it in any longer. "Hao," he said softly, grabbing his wrist gently. Hao paused, turning to look at him, his eyes tired and guarded.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Hanbin asked, his voice tinged with concern. "You don't look well, and... I just feel like something's off."

Hao stared at him for a moment, his gaze searching Hanbin's face. There was a brief flicker of emotion-fear, hesitation, maybe even guilt-but it vanished as quickly as it had appeared.

"I'm fine," Hao said quietly, though his voice lacked conviction. "I just... need to rest."

Hanbin didn't buy it. He couldn't. But he also knew Hao well enough to know that pushing him too hard wouldn't help. He swallowed the questions swirling in his mind and nodded, though his heart ached with the weight of everything unsaid.

"If you need anything," Hanbin said, his voice soft but firm, "just let me know. Even if it's the middle of the night. I'll be there, okay?"

Hao looked at him for a long moment, something unreadable in his eyes. He nodded once, giving Hanbin a small, tired smile. "Thanks, bin."

Hanbin watched as Hao got out of the car and made his way to his front door, his movements slow and labored. As he disappeared inside, Hanbin's chest tightened with worry.

Something wasn't right. He knew it. But he also knew that Hao wouldn't tell him until he was ready.

Hanbin sighed, gripping the steering wheel tightly. "I'll be here, Hao," he whispered to himself, pulling out of the driveway.