Arc 10: 136.1

Time passed, and it was autumn once again.

Early in the morning, city guards opened the gates of Crane City. The peddlers who had been waiting outside immediately crowded them. They rushed into the city after paying the toll as if their livelihoods depended on it.

The city guards stationed there were not surprised to see the peddlers practically fly inside.

After all, Crane City had become quite famous in the last couple of years. Everyone knew that the Jiangnan Shi family who settled here often produced novel products that merchants bought and then distributed to the rest of the country.

It was why Crane City had become a popular destination for merchants in the past few years.

Some of them had been here many times before and were not surprised by the remarkable hustle of these small peddlers. They paid the toll and strolled into the city at a leisurely pace.

But the new faces had a different reaction. They stared after those peddlers with strange expressions, wondering why those people were running so fast.

One young merchant handed an extra tael of silver to the guard along with the toll. “Here, big brother. It’s been quite windy lately. Take this to buy some wine.”

The guard’s professional attitude almost immediately warmed. He tucked the money into his lapels and smiled gratefully. “Thank you very much.”

Seeing that he had accepted the money, the merchant asked, “May I ask why these people are running so fast? Is there a specific reason?”

He didn’t ask out of curiosity alone. The world was in chaos right now so one had to be cautious when going to new places. After all, different cities pledged allegiance to different kings, and bandits were everywhere. If merchants were unlucky enough to offend one of those kings, their lives were almost certainly forfeit.

The young merchant had just arrived at Crane City. Although he’s heard that this city was very safe, he had to make sure for his own sake.

It was not the first time the guard had someone ask him this. Because this merchant had given him some money, he kindly explained:

“It’s nothing really. The Shi family opened up something called an oversized market on a large plot of land in the city. As long as they pay the fee, any peddlers, whether they sell vegetables, candied hawthorns, or wood, can set up a stall there.”

“You can get a well-protected spot to sell your goods for just one copper. Plus, the people of Crane City often go there to shop because that market sells everything you could need for a fair price. The peddlers there can make quite a profit, so the spots sell out like hotcakes. Those people earlier were running just to make sure they got a spot.”

The young merchant understood now. “I see.”

He couldn’t help but look puzzled. “A copper is quite a low price. I can’t see them making much money even if they rent to hundreds of people, especially since the Shi family isn’t lacking for funds. Why would they do this then?”

“Ah, let me explain.” The city guard beamed with pride. “Young Master Shi is in charge of the Shi family now. He’s a very good person that always cares about the people. He built this oversized market so those peddlers won’t have to stand under the harsh sun in the summer or freeze their fingers off in the winter. Now all they have to do is pay a copper for shelter and protection. This arrangement also makes it more convenient for the people of the city to shop than before.”

The city guard sang Shi Qing’s praises for a long time. It was physically impossible for him to be more proud. “Only someone extraordinary could do something so kind.”