Communal Maid (Carol Aird)

In the town of New York City, in that age, things were changing. Women could have jobs, and it was the current generations' mothers that fought for the right to vote so women took every right very seriously. You were a woman who worked yet you could not keep your money in your own bank account. You kept it in hidden places.

You currently sat in a lovely home, being interviewed by the woman of the house. That was rare. You saw the wedding ring and knew she wasn't in charge but she acted like she was. "I'll need you here after 11 and until 3 Tuesday through Thursday and on Saturdays. I'll pay you in cash. I doubt my daughter will ever be here when you are." The blonde looked around the room you were sitting in and you knew she was trying to think of what else you might need to know. Her short hair was quite voluminous, almost cupping her cheeks and chin even while curling regularly. One of her ears peaked out and her light blue eyes suddenly found yours. "And I believe that's it."

"It doesn't interfere with my other jobs," is all you said.

Mrs. Aird seemed to be waiting for more. Her seeking eyes seemed darker under the mascara and eye shadow. "Are you interested?" she asked in a deeper tone, almost insinuating something.

To be honest, it was a big house and you worried about your ability to clean it all regularly. But it was a paying job and you were available. If the economy were better or if the state of women's rights were better, you might be in a position to turn down what offers you weren't interested in. This would not be one of those. "Yes, Mrs. Aird."

Those pink lips stretched into a smile. "Wonderful."

That was the beginning of your new routine. You cleaned many people's houses and was always busy. Carol was fascinated by you. You didn't seem receptive to her prodding questions, but she had caught you looking obscurely, either at her or in general. You also cleaned Abby's house, as that was how she found you, and they shared opinions about you on occasion, but agreed you were too distant for a confirmation and they couldn't risk their secrets getting out. Homosexuals were pariahs. You were just someone else in their circle.

Still, Carol had to know. She had a feeling she was right. "What are you doing after you leave here?" she asked.

"I have two more houses to clean," you confessed emotionlessly. You never stopped your work when speaking to Carol. She wasn't sure if that was because you wanted to be done with it as fast as you could or if you were so desperate to avoid her. You were impossible to read and frankly she had no right to ask your thoughts.

Still, she laughed. It was the weekend. "Don't you ever take a day off?" she asked.

You dropped your brush into your bucket, not spilling a drop, and effortlessly swapped out a rag. You went to wiping down what you'd just washed. "No."

Carol frowned behind your back. She looked backwards over her back and saw it was almost time for you to leave. Having cleaned her house a few times before, you knew the fastest and most efficient way to do so and Carol had your routine down. You cleaned top to bottom, always cleaning your way out of rooms once they were perfect, shutting the door. The mother had gone in one of the rooms while you were cleaning another and forgot to shut it behind her. That floor took longer that day, but you were always out the door at 3 and expected her to dock you for whatever you didn't accomplish. You actually wouldn't take what you deemed you didn't earn. You were... fascinating. Carol ended up paying your purse and having you walk out the door before you could check it. The same amount every day.

Today, you had plenty of time to get ready to leave, putting your gloves and supplies away properly, emptying the bucket into a sink rather than putting the top on and taking it with you. This was the first time you'd finished the house in enough time to do this and Carol watched from the other room. Your shoulders relaxed with a sense of accomplishment and you took your apron off, leaving the bland black clothes on. Your hair stayed up and perfectly in place. You cleaned your supplies like they were never there, loaded up on a stand you had likely assembled yourself. Washing your hands, you stood at your full height which was rare for you. You spent more time working up high or on your knees than at regular height, and even then you were always looking under something. You were surprised to see your boss approach you, just watching. You didn't know what to say so you said nothing. You dried your hands and just kept meeting her gaze, eventually checking the clock. Two minutes to three.