42 The Untold Story

The next morning, Ben woke up with a pounding headache, the sun streaming directly into his eyes. He grimaced, remembering just how bright that room could get. He pulled himself out of bed and sat on the edge, cradling his head in his hands with his elbows resting on his knees.
A crumpled piece of paper lay on the floor, revealing the truth behind the chaos of the previous night. As memories flooded back, he realized that letter was undeniable evidence of how Sam had lied about a significant part of her life—a lie she had used to justify her strange behavior.

All of Ben's understanding of Sam's past was based solely on what she had shared with him. He had never met any of her old friends or family members. When they first crossed paths, she was a single woman with only a few acquaintances. He had fallen in love with a woman who appeared broken but resilient, someone who had fought her way to healing. She was undeniably beautiful, and her intriguing character had captivated him, making him want to chase after her. But now, he recognized the truth: he had fallen for a facade. He needed to read that letter again.

Dear Ben,
Since you entered my life, it has been a joyride. Just kidding—it was as rocky as they come. I have to apologize for leaving you like that after such an important moment. There is so much understanding between us that no one can deny we are already in a relationship. I like you so much and prefer you to any of my other friends. Ha ha, not good enough.
Your move last night was so gentlemanly; I always wondered if you would ever ask me or if it would just happen over time. However, when you asked, it became so real to me. I have already told you about my previous relationship and my problem with having children, and you accepted me despite all of that. I would love to say yes to your proposal, but first, I want you to hear about my childhood. Since there is little chance that you'll ever meet my family, you have the right to know who I am and where I come from. If, after reading this letter, you still want to marry me, I will be waiting for you tomorrow at six o'clock, where I broke your foot for the first time!

The letter detailed Sam's youth—her abusive mother and a father who left them, leaving Sam to bear the blame. Her father was a drunk, and she endured horrific abuse whenever one of her pets died, which happened far too often. In her story, she claimed her father insisted on buying pets only to kill them later and blame Sam for their deaths.
She also mentioned a metal cupboard where she was imprisoned for hours. This reminded Ben of similar details Pip had told him about. The parallels to the infamous childhood of Dale Layer the Slayer were striking. Ben crumpled the paper again, but with too much alcohol still in his system, he struggled to grasp the full significance of the similarities. All he knew was that he was right—again.

As soon as he recovered from his hangover, Ben knew he needed to figure many things out. The disturbing part was that Sam and Dale were from the same state. Could Sam have known Dale, or worse, been related to him?
Ben needed coffee to clear his head. He wished he could ask someone why Sam would steal such a horrific story and cling to it her whole life, at the cost of not seeing her parents. They didn't even know they had a grandchild. He spiraled into doubt—did Sam even have a family?

Ben wondered where he could find someone to explain the truth. He had already embarrassed himself once in the doctor's office and didn't want to return until he had more evidence. He didn't know if Sam had any close friends, as Jessica had disappeared without a trace, and he had never spoken to her.

Sam had an incredible talent for hiding the truth, sticking to it without fail for years. Her obsession with keeping receipts, notices, letters, and any sort of paperwork, however, could backfire. Ben knew there was a drawer she always kept locked, which contained important documents—passports, emergency cash, and other valuables. He suspected there might be a clue inside.