Chapter three: the tribe of friendship

The air in my Brooklyn apartment felt alive with the sweet scent of cherries and vanilla, a comforting blend that seemed to wrap us in a warm hug as I led Erika through the doorway. "Boo, let's get you settled and unpacked!" I exclaimed, a mixture of excitement and relief bubbling up inside me. She was finally free from that cheater Casey, and I couldn't be prouder of her for leaving his abusive ways behind.

We dropped her duffel bag on the floor, and I fluffed a couple of throw pillows on my couch, making it comfy for her. As I helped her sort through her belongings, we swapped stories and laughter, reminding each other that sometimes, you need to lean on your tribe.

Once Erika had claimed her temporary space on my floor—complete with a cozy blanket and a few candles—I pulled out my phone and we decided to treat ourselves to some Chinese takeout. "What do you want?" I asked, scrolling through the delivery menu.

"Anything but fortune cookies!" Erika laughed, her eyes shining with a mix of mischief and joy. We ordered way too much food, knowing it would fuel us for a night of deep conversations about our sorority's upcoming events and our hectic college lives.

"How are those law courses treating you?" I inquired, genuinely curious about her progress. She'd always been the academic scholar, completely dedicated to her studies. It was inspiring but also intimidating sometimes.

"Let's just say the law has a way of making the truth complicated," she said, her gaze thoughtful. We chatted late into the evening, sharing our dreams and fears, each unpacking our emotional baggage alongside her physical bags.

Eventually, fatigue crept in, reminding us of our responsibilities. "We have church in the morning," I said, smirking as I thought of my family and her Aunt Kelly, who wouldn't let us hear the end of it if we weren't there on Sunday morning, praising the Lord.

As we settled into my cozy bedroom, I felt a sense of peace wash over me. Everything felt right. Our struggles had brought us here, but so had our resilience. We might have faced darkness in the past, but together, we were unstoppable warriors on a mission to uplift each other and rise above it all. With a final glance at the clock, I dimmed the lights, tucked myself under my covers, and embraced the hopeful energy of tomorrow.