Chapter seven: the secrets out

Monday classes had finally come to an end, and as I exited the bustling campus, I spotted Asia leaning against her car, her colorful braids bouncing with excitement. I hurried over, wrapping my arms around her in a tight embrace. She was my rock, always ready to lift me up after a long day, especially with everything that had been happening lately.

We walked side by side, discussing our sorority meeting earlier that day. I couldn't help but share how exhilarating cheer practice had been and how honored I felt to be named head cheerleader again. Asia, ever the dramatic one, squealed in delight, her enthusiasm infectious. Our chatter drifted toward Carla and her boyfriend, King—just that morning, I had witnessed them in a heated argument that had left everyone in our morning class awkwardly looking at our phones, trying to ignore the tension.

"You won't believe this, Asia," I said, lowering my voice as we approached her car. "I met King's friend, Ace. He was standing nearby when the fight broke out. And oh my God, he is so fine. Light skin, with these piercing colored eyes and tattoos that just scream bad boy. I can't lie; he was easy on the eyes."

Asia rolled her eyes with a mischievous grin. "Girl, focus on your future, not on these boys. But I get it—was he at least nice?"

"Actually, yeah," I laughed, recalling our conversation about our majors. "He's doing business and psychology. It makes sense since both he and King are big players in the city. Just a little too deep for me, though."

Just as we reached her car, the chill of the approaching winter pierced through my jacket, but it wasn't the cold that made me shiver. There he stood—Casey, my ex-boyfriend—leaning against his car, his expression wavering between desperation and anger. My heart raced at the sight. We had only broken up two days ago, but it felt like a lifetime.

"Ericka!" he called, pushing off his car as I drew closer, despite every instinct telling me to turn around. "Can we talk?" His voice was a blend of pleading and authority.

I hesitated, but before I could answer, he continued, "I want to come clean. Maybe we can try to figure this out again."

I felt a pit in my stomach. I was done with him, ready to leave that chapter in the past, but part of me wanted to hear him out. Grimacing, I said, "Fine, but just for a minute."

He pulled out his phone, and before I could process what was happening, he showed me a video from a frat party weeks ago. My heart sank as I watched him with Carla, the two of them caught in an intimate moment. The betrayal hit like a punch to the gut, and I shook my head in disbelief, anger and sadness intertwining.

Without a word, I turned on my heel and marched back to Asia, slipping into the passenger seat. She looked at me, eyes wide. "What was on that video?"

"Casey and Carla," I muttered, feeling tears threaten to spill. "They were together... like, together-together."

Asia's expression darkened. "I knew Carla was full of shit. Are you okay?"

"No," I replied, my voice wavering. "But I will be. I'm done playing games. I deserve better."

As she drove down the street, I felt the warmth of her hand resting on mine, a silent vow to take on whatever would come next—together. The cold air whipped through the open windows, carrying away the weight of lies and insecurity, a reminder that with every ending came a new beginning. And no matter how tough it got, I knew I had Asia, my aunt, and my dreams to pull me through.