Chapter:twelve

✨Ericka✨

I've been up all morning, scrolling through endless listings and making calls. The thrill of finding a condo sent shivers of excitement down my spine. Living with Asia in our old apartment was cool—her laugh was the soundtrack of my life, and our late-night talks fueled our dreams. But enough was enough. I needed my own space, a place to breathe, to mold into my sanctuary where I can focus on my studies and build my future.

Today's the day I get the keys to my new two-bedroom condo. It's a nice place—not too far from Asia, Aunt Kelly, and the university. Just the thought of my independence makes my heart race like it did when I aced my last law exam. The winter chill nips at my cheeks as I hop into my car, the engine rumbling to life. The streets of New York are animated with the usual humdrum of hurried footsteps and distant car horns. I take a deep breath, letting the frigid air fill my lungs, reminding myself just how far I've come.

Driving through the familiar streets, flashes of memories bombard me—battling life in the ghetto, the sacrifices my mother made, and the unwavering support my aunt provided. But I am beyond those struggles now. I glimpse a vision of my future home—a sanctuary where I can cook up pots of my signature jerk chicken, invite my loved ones over, and drown out the noise with soulful music.

My phone buzzes with reminders about transferring the lights and gas over to my new place. "Just one more step," I whisper to myself, gripping the steering wheel tightly. The tingling anticipation of having everything moved in by tomorrow night fills me with a sense of purpose. I want to set up my space, surround myself with my favorite books, and create a cozy nook where I can lose myself in my studies.

Pulling up to the property management office, I glance in the rearview mirror and make sure my appearance is on point—a cute sweater dress, matching boots, and my hair cascading in perfect curls, a little nod to Aunt Kelly's salon genius. Confidence is key; I can't let anyone doubt my ambitions.

After signing the paperwork, the condo's keys jingle in my hand, and for a moment, I stand frozen in excitement. This is it—my new life chapter. I'm ready. Quickly, I hop back into my car, the keys glowing in the palm of my hand.

"Let's do this," I say to myself, fueled by hope, ambition, and the promise of what's to come. I drive away, my heart beating in sync with this vibrant city, ready to conquer my dreams—one key, one lesson, and one moment at a time.