Chapter nine: the fight club

The bass thumped and pulsated through my chest as Asia and I stepped into the club, the air thick with energy and expectation. We were dressed to perfection, and I felt alive despite the chaos life had thrown at us recently. The crowd swayed under neon lights, couples danced in sultry closeness to hip hop beats and the occasional slow jam, encapsulating the spirit of the night.

"Let's hit the bar!" Asia shouted over the music, her eyes sparkling with mischief. We ordered cute little drinks, sugary and sweet, then chased them down with shots of Hennessey, the warm burn is exactly what I needed. A slight buzz washed over me, and I felt freer, more daring I stepped onto the dance floor, the rhythm calling to me, moving my body in sync with the beat. Soon enough, Asia was beside me, her infectious energy and confidence urging me to let loose.

Suddenly, I felt strong hands on my hips. I turned around, and there was Ace, a familiar smile dancing on his lips as he pulled me close. The beat slowed just as we started to grind against each other, his hands exploring the curves of my body. Butterflies erupted in my belly as Asia was dancing nearby, hyping us up with her infectious laughter.

As the song transitioned to another beat drop, Ace leaned in, "You both should join us in the VIP booth," he suggested, nodding toward the elevated platform.

"Why not?" I flashed him a grin, feeling like I was walking on clouds.

But as we approached the plush booth,
I felt a rush of excitement.

Stepping into that plush space, my heart sank when I saw Carla draped over her boyfriend, King. The last person I wanted to see was her, the girl who had thrown salt in my wounds. The same Carla who had once been the "friend" while I dated Casey; the same Carla who had betrayed me with him, whispering sweet nothings while pretending to be my ally. while she had the audacity to have innocent façade. The betrayal twisted inside me, but I quickly masked it. As Ace escorted us to one of the plush seats next to him.
"What are you doing here?" Carla, said her tone mocking like I did belong.

Just as I opened my mouth to speak a girl with a curly weave shouted.

"This the hoe that got you tripping on me!" she yelled, pointing directly at me, her words dripping with venom as she stood up and approached us.

"Aye, Kia, chill with that shit. We're not together," Ace replied, trying to diffuse the situation.

"Who you calling a hoe?" I fired back, my resolve hardening as I stood up from the couch.

"I'm calling you one, bitch!" Kia hissed, rolling her neck, finger pointed provocatively.

My muscles tensed as I readied myself to retaliate, but Ace intercepted, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Chill, it's not worth it," he urged. I agree to ignore it not letting the situation get the best of me, but then Kia shoved him aside, and her fists were soon flying.

The energy erupted into chaos. I was throwing punches, adrenaline fueling my every move, but Kia wasn't alone—Carla joined in, aiming vicious blows as if she was defending her territory.
Ace's strong grip pulled me back just as chaos erupted.

Asia wasn't having any of it though. She grabbed Carla by her hair, ready to fight, while I focused on Kia. Bodies collided, and music drowned out the commotion as Ace and King, along with a few club security guards, rushed in to break us apart.
Just then, Asia surged forward, grabbing Carla by her hair, swinging punches.

Our bodies were shoved apart, echoes of shouts and gasps filling the air like a frantic symphony of chaos. I was still catching my breath.

I caught Carla's gaze, who was now being held back by King and security, a smug grin plastered on her face that only fueled my rage. "Carla, you trifling bitch! Tell King how you cheated on him with my boyfriend!" My voice cut through the crowd and silenced the space momentarily.

King released her reluctantly, and she fell onto her knees, a mixture of shock and dread on her face. Her pleas fell flat as King turned to her, bewildered. "What's she talking about, Carla?"I could see King's eyes narrow in suspicion as he addressed Carla.

"Baby, she's lying!" Carla wailed, dropping to her knees, the claws of her deception exposed.

"Don't play dumb," I shot back, filled with enough anger to fuel a fire. "You know what you did. You think I'm going to let you walk away from this?"

"What she gotta lie about?" King challenged, a deep frown marring his handsome face.

"The Homie showed me the video," King retorted, crossing his arms, disbelief etched across his face.

I stood there, breathless but undeterred, knowing that in that moment, I felt the weight of betrayal lift just a little. Carla's pretenses were crumbling, and perhaps, for once. The truth hung in the air, heavy and undeniable, and for the first time in a while, I felt free.