Chapter five: good morning

As the first light of dawn crept through the thin curtains of Asia's two-bedroom apartment, I stirred awake, the exciting chaos of a new week already taking form in my mind. Monday felt like a fresh start, an opportunity wrapped in the familiar hustle of my college life at NYU. I could hear Asia bustling around in the kitchen, and the mouthwatering scent of pancakes wafted through the air, driving away the remnants of sleep.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed, feeling just slightly unsteady on my feet. The weight of the world felt pressing this morning, but I pushed it aside, determined to focus on the day ahead. After skinning my skincare routine and tying my thick, curly hair into a high ponytail—laying my edges to perfection, of course—I hopped in the shower. The warm water cascaded over me, washing away the remnants of doubt.

After I dried off, I carefully applied a bit of makeup—a touch of concealer and some lip gloss to accentuate my smile. Pulling on my outfit for the day—stylish yet warm—I felt a rush of confidence. It was cold out, perfect for the vibrant mustard-yellow sweater I loved, paired with high-waisted jeans that made me feel fierce and strong.

I stepped into the kitchen, my mouth watering as I spotted Asia flipping pancakes. She was already dressed, a fierce ensemble that radiated her personality, and sipping on her coffee. "Hey, Ericka! Ready for the hectic day that awaits you?" she called, her eyes glinting with mischief.

"Not really, but pancakes help!" I grinned, grabbing a plate. We settled down at the table, diving into breakfast, orange juice tangy against the sweetness of the pancakes. Between bites, we reminisced about our childhood, the wild dreams we once had, and how far we had come. "Remember when we thought we could run a fashion line one day?" Asia laughed, shaking her head.

"Yeah, we thought we were unstoppable," I chuckled in return, but my smile faded momentarily at the thought of Casey. As Asia noticed, her expression turned serious. "Ericka, don't let him—" she started, but I cut her off.

"I know, I know," I sighed, pushing down the swell of anxiety. "I'm trying to leave that behind. School and cheer practice need to be my focus."

"Promise me you'll do it without him dragging you down," she insisted, her voice firm but caring. "You've got a bright future ahead, don't let his baggage pull you back."

I nodded, grateful for Asia's unwavering support. With breakfast finished and our belongings in hand, we stepped outside into the brisk morning air, sliding into her car and heading toward campus. We belted out our favorite songs, laughter filling the space, momentarily drowning out the heaviness in my heart.

Today was just one day, but each one was a stepping stone to something greater. I was determined to not only survive but thrive, for myself and for everyone who believed in me.