A Brave New World

Rain fell from the sky over The Bunker. The only sounds that could be heard was the occasional howling wind and the faint groan of tools on machinery. This bunker is the most isolated area on Copper 9. Uzi slouched towards the mirror, her eyes tired from being open. Her body had grown taller. A dark purple jacket laid on her shoulder, a striped beanie sat on her head, concealing most of her hair. The radio next to the sink was on, the time read off the digital clock. It then crackled to life as Uzi trudged to the dining room, joints creaked at the slightest movement, her mind a haze. A tired voice came on the radio

"Good evening citizens of the ULU This is your host speaking, it is April 10th, 2047 we are experiencing the warmest weather we have ever had since 2039...".

Uzi grabbed the radio and wrapped the wires around her body, plugging the machine into her neck's power supply. The news broadcast hummed in her head as she made her way over to the kitchen. Uzi opened the cabinet and took their cups from the cupboard. Mom and Dad's mugs were made of stamped metal. The one marked in Bylet chemical ink marker was his, the one dented with teeth marks was hers. Uzi's was a small metal cup, no handle.

"Political tensions between the United Sectors of Copper 9 and the United Liberation Union are at all time highs. Interviews from 9'ers reveal a deep unrest and mistrust in the ULU, though none of these claims have been substantiated with evidence. The ULU continues in their 3 year long frontal assault against the murder drones. About 100 million of our brave soldiers have fallen in battle, but we have made great moves against this mechanical menace, keep fighting out there soldiers!"

The radio broadcast cut to a quiet symphony from the 1700s.

The town was mostly quiet, the faint whirring of drills echoed through the town. Passing by the school she heard the faint talking of a teacher about the three doors protecting them from the monsters, now called "Murder Drones". Uzi finally made her way to the bunker doors.

Thad was bound in duct tape as usual. All the "degenerates" as Uzi called them were bound in tape and wore the same blue coats with that stupid "WDF" stitched onto the back. They "tripped" again, most likely they were beating each other up.

"Morning loser." Uttered Yoon, passing by, covered head to toe in duct tape.

"Don't worry, I'll talk to her about that. Listen, we're having another issue with the satellite dish, we can't get a connection and we're reaching close to the deadline to announce that the market is safe for the morning."

"Can you not send or receive." Uzi asked, staring at the floor.

"We can't get anything."

"Must be a connection in the power. I'll take care of it."

"One more thing, take this with you." he passes her a Bren Ten

"Where did you get this?"

"The less you ask the better. Stay safe, ok?"

Uzi made a smile.

The smile quickly melted as she trudged to Door 1, shutting off her emotions as the not familiar sound of groaning doors opened.

Door 2, a place replaced with only memories of her standing there, watching it open.

Door 3 opens, a blistering cold wind peels her rubber face. Pistol in hand, she climbs the mountain of snow. The cold winds blew a dark mist around her as she climbed her way to the top. The only component that protruded above the earth of The Bunker was the tunnel leading down and a modestly sized satellite dish. While later underground shelters had setups where fixing minor issues could be done within the safety of the bunker, corporate judgment lead to using preexisting technology without a second thought.