Sassy

Rya looks overworked and tired. Jared is running like a madman around the bar grabbing empty glasses. Derek is leaning on the bar chatting with a group of women. I am smiling because I know we are making a bunch of money tonight. The music seems a bit louder than normal, but no one seems to care. The jukebox is playing country rock and it's not disappointing.

Rya reaches around me for a drinking straw. I am trying to mix an exceedingly difficult drink. Jared came up with some random drink, thankfully it was just a concoction of random whiskeys, and our customers love it.

"Whatever you're doing keep up the work," Rya says with a smile and slides around me. "It's busy and it's been tiring but I must have made over five hundred dollars so far and it's not even that late in the evening."

Jared leans toward us. His face has curiosity written all over it. He's trying to pop the caps off six beer bottles, setting them on a tray. But I think he heard what Rya said and is about to say something...

"You what! Dang girl!" He says with wide eyes and a slightly irritated look on his face. "I mean...I have no idea how much I made but I don't think it's that much. You showing them breasts of yours or what?"

Staring down at Rya like she is competition, he picks up his tray and begins to walk around the bar. He is annoyed with her admitting how much she made. He has to learn too; she is quicker than him and she can swoon the gentlemen better than he can.

"I want some of your tables girl!" He says while pushing through the crowd of people.

Glancing at me with a look of annoyance on her face, she shakes her head. Grabbing six straws, she begins to place one straw in each drink at a time while staring Jared down.

"You can take as many of my tables as you want Jared! It's not the tables it's who's serving them." She says while quickly pushing through the crowd of people on the opposite side of the bar.

"The hell you just say?" He argues and looks back at her.

His eyebrows are squeezed together, and his eyelids are straight. I can tell he is pissed at her comment. Sadly, she is mostly right. It's not our fault, it's the customers who decide what to tip and to whom. Jared could offer 'full service' which is very illegal and still get tipped shit.

"Girl! You can keep your damn tables. I don't want them."

I try to hide my smile by pursing my lips but it's hard to hold back. I cough a small laugh and glance down at the bar. Derek is still chatting away with those girls. It's his first night and he's already screwing around. In his defense, I don't think he knows what working in a bar is genuinely like.

"Are you serving these young ladies drinks?" I ask and smile at the group of girls.

Every girl is admiring Derek except for one. She looks no older than nineteen, but neither do I most days. She has the darkest brown eyes and light brown hair. There is not a blemish on her face, and she has a beautiful smile. And she has a familiarity with her like I should know who she is.

He straightens up. He presses his hands against the bar counter and pushes back. He reaches for a beer. "I am." He says, looking down like he knows he's in trouble. "They were just admiring my last album before I...I retired from music. Yeah...I retired. I am sorry. I should be out on the floor."

He quickly looks back at the girls with that wide popstar smile he has. "Ladies." He spins his hand with a kind gesture. "I will be back to serve you more alcohol and discuss..." He pauses clears his throat and glances at me.

"You can chat with the customers for a few moments. We recommend it. It keeps them coming back." I say feeling like I am giving him an out for no reason.

"Excuse me." I say while leaving his 'area.'

The light brown-haired girl followed me over to my side of the bar. She has blue eyes and noticeably light brown eyebrows. She's really quiet and seems polite. She's wearing a dark red shirt sleeve shirt and a pair of shorts. Her hair is put back in a ponytail. She's really pretty and familiar-looking.

Reaching for a glass, I purposely clear my throat. "How can I help you? And...that gentleman that waited on you is new. I am sorry but did he check your I.D.?"

She smiles and nods her head. I stop with the drink and put my attention on her. She looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

"We are the same age." She tells me while reaching for her wallet. "You don't remember me, but we went to school together. I recall you dropping out and now you own this bar. I was looking for a job and honestly, I couldn't stop staring at you. You are extremely attractive. And I am also somewhat drunk, but that doesn't excuse me still needing a job."

My mouth drops open from the shock of her just straight up admitting this to me. I glance around the bar to see if anyone else is paying attention to her. I feel honored and confused at the same time. She's standing in front of me with this wild smile and no one else seems to notice her hitting on me but myself.

Lowering my head, I lean toward her. It's like I am trying to hide from anyone that might be listening. I could only imagine what Natalia would think about this situation. I'd rather her not hear what this girl just said.

"Excuse me? I mean...thank you." I say and close my mouth.

Everything in my power fights for me to hold back my smile. I don't want her to think I am honored by her openness and full honesty.

"I don't remember you from school. We aren't hiring, but I mean...it's always good to have another hand. What's your name?" I ask while analyzing the hell out of her. She looks so damn familiar.

"Oh." She smiles while sliding her hand back and forth on the edge of the bar. "Gemma."

You've got to be kidding me.