Chapter 9

Protagonist's POV

The idea of Sana attending the YES Beauty event made me anxious. As the brand ambassador, she was expected to be there. After everything that had happened recently, I felt uneasy. I sat on the plush bench at the foot of our bed with arms crossed. I watched her as she meticulously dabbed her makeup. She sprayed her perfume and fastened her earrings. Her gaze fixed on her reflection in the vanity mirror.

"Hubby, why are you staring at me like that?" she asked. Her lips curled into a slight smirk.

I sighed deeply. "I'm just... thinking about the event. Are you sure you're ready, love?"

She raised an eyebrow. Her arrogant air intact as she turned to face me. "Of course, I'm ready. I'm Sana Minatozaki. I can handle a simple event."

Her words were dismissive but I couldn't ignore the pit in my stomach. After everything she had been through-the panic attacks, the anxiety, the nightmares and that terrifying incident when someone pushed her down the stairs. It was hard for me not to worry. She'd been struggling with her mental health lately and the idea of her facing such a high-profile event left me on edge.

"Sana...I just...what if something happens? What if you feel overwhelmed? I don't want to see you panic like before" I hesitated.

Her eyes flickered with irritation as she walked toward me. Her heels clicked on the floor with her usual confidence. "Hubby, you're overreacting. I've dealt with worse. I'm not going to break down because of some stupid event."

I wanted to believe her. I could see through her facade. Beneath that cold, commanding exterior, I knew she was still fragile. It wasn't long ago that she had started having panic attacks, triggered by stress and that awful incident. The fear of losing her to something like that gnawed at me every day.

She stood in front of me now. She placed her hands on my cheeks to force me to look up into her eyes. "You're not going to lose me, okay? I'm fine. I'll be fine."

I placed my hands on her hips to pull her closer. "I just don't want you to push yourself too hard. You've been through so much lately. If you feel anything off, call me. I'll come to you, no matter what."

She rolled her eyes, though there was a flicker of vulnerability in them. "You worry too much. I'm not fragile, love. You don't need to babysit me."

"I'm not trying to babysit you. I just care. A lot." I ran my thumb over her waist.

Her lips curved into that seductive smirk I knew all too well. "You're such a sap, hubby. Fine, if it'll keep you from pouting, I'll call if anything happens. Happy?"

I felt a little more at ease. "Good enough. But seriously, take care of yourself."

She leaned down to press her lips against mine in a slow, possessive kiss. No matter how much she pretended to be unaffected, I knew she was fighting her own battles.

When she pulled away, I held her hand tightly. My thumb brushed over her knuckles. "I love you, you know that, right?"

She flipped her hair over her shoulder. "I know. And I love you too. If you keep acting like a worried old man, you'll get wrinkles."

I shook my head as I laughed. "I guess I'll just have to trust you, then."

"You'd better. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have an event to dominate. Try not to miss me too much, hubby" she teased and ready to leave.

I grabbed her wrist with just enough force to pull her into my lap. She yelped in surprise. Her eyes widened as she fell into my arms. Wrapping my arms tightly around her waist, I pulled her closer.