1

𝔾ℝ𝔸𝕍𝕀𝕋𝕐 𝔽𝔸𝕃𝕃𝕊, 𝕆ℝ𝔼𝔾𝕆ℕ

𝟙𝟡𝟟𝟟

Soft music played out of the radio as a blacked out car turns down a narrow, gravel path. A young woman sang along half heartedly, feeling a bit nervous. The dense forest closes in around her, its towering pines casting long shadows in the fading afternoon light. The air smells of damp earth and moss, the earthy fragrance reminding her that this is nothing like the city. The forest seems almost alive, humming with the rustling of leaves and the occasional distant cry of a bird. A sense of calm settles over her, though a hint of nervous still dances beneath the surface.

She rounds the final bend and catches her first glimpse of the house. Nestled in a clearing, the cabin looks like it grew naturally from the woods, its weathered wooden beams and stone chimney blending with the surrounding landscape. The large windows reflect the muted colors of the forest, and the porch, wrapped in ivy, beckons with the promise of quiet mornings and endless cups of coffee.

Evangeline parks the car and steps out, the sound of gravel crunching beneath her boots. The silence here feels heavy, but not in a lonely way—more like a comforting embrace. The wind whispers through the trees, and the forest itself seems to breathe in time with her.

She pauses for a moment, taking in her new home. The front door, painted a deep green, seems to invite her in. Beyond the house, the forest stretches endlessly, offering a sense of both solitude and protection. The thought of exploring those woods, of making this place hers, fills her with an unexpected surge of joy.

Inside, the house is simple but cozy. Wooden beams stretch across the ceiling, and the wide-plank floors creak slightly beneath her steps. Light filters through the large windows, casting golden beams onto the walls. There's a stone fireplace in the corner, its hearth filled with logs, ready for a fire to be lit.

She places her bags on the floor, her gaze drifting to the large back window where she can just make out the edge of a stream, sparkling through the trees. The idea of long walks, the company of wildlife, and the peace this house offers is everything she imagined.

She lets out a deep breath, smiling to herself. The house may still be unfamiliar, but already it feels like home.

After unpacking what she could, she sits down on the floor, leaning up against the wall. The house still needed furniture, which she knew she'd have to find somewhere. . .and maybe someone with a trailer to help tow the furniture. Her hands fumbled with a bag and she pulled out three framed degrees. A smile filled her face as she read the title on it;

EVANGELINE MORGANA JULIETTE - CORNELL UNIVERSITY - DOCTORATE OF VETERINARY MEDICINE

The other two were minors she received for other subjects, English and Environmental sciences. Those could be hung up, but she was most proud of the Doctorate. Evangeline stood up and dusted her hands off, walking into the bathroom. She took a look at herself in the grime covered mirror and sighed. Cleaning supplies were another thing she needed to buy. Fine, it was all fine. It would be good to get to know the people in the town as she would be opening up, or at least hopefully, a clinic.

Tonight was simple. Go get food and inflate the air mattress. Or inflate the air mattress and then go get food. She tucked her hair into a bun and headed out to the car, grabbing an air pump and going back inside. The cabin was split into two levels, the downstairs had four spaces that she would be able to turn into exam rooms. The upstairs was quite nice, nicer than the real estate agent made it sound too. When she spoken to the man on the phone, he seemed disinterested in speaking to Evangeline, so her Dad did most of the talking after that.