13

Chaos unfolded in her mind

No way!

Is he invisible?!

But how am I able to see him??

C'mon Jiyeon, use that damn brain!

So.... does that mean only I can see him?

Jiyeon pondered with jittery nerves as her feet patted against the floor anxiously, and she glanced at Donghyuck, whose eyes were set on her.

Nah, this is all a dream, I bet.

"You are quite special." Donghyuck commented, eyeing her from head to toe with a cocky grin on his lips, his gaze so intense that she was forced to look away.

Or maybe not.

She turned away from the demon to take a look at Mark, who was busily skimming through the books arranged on the shelves, appearing to search for something.

Jiyeon soon felt a presence behind her back, close enough to feel his warmth embracing her, and she did not dare to spare him a look.

"Don't forget that I am always watching you. See ya." Donghyuck whispered beside her face, so close that his hot breath stroked her ears, almost tickling her.

And he was gone, just like that.

Mark's eyes flickered onto Jiyeon, who had stood rooted in her spot ever since he had walked in, falling tight-lipped all of a sudden, and he arched his eyebrows when he noticed the beads of sweat form on the side of her face, causing the face-framing layers of her raven hair stick to her skin.

"You're sweating." He pointed out, wondering why she looked so distraught despite the well-air-conditioned room.

Jiyeon was shaken from her own world of neverending thoughts, and she awkwardly let out a small laugh, fanning her face with the book in her hand to calm her down.

"Haha, um, it must be the sun." She blurted a lie straight through her teeth, glancing at the agape window that allowed all the sunlight to filter in.

Mark wordlessly nodded, not quite buying into her excuse, but something swirling in the air before gently resting on the white marble by her feet caught his attention.

A black feather.

When his gaze narrowed on the quill, she looked down, wondering what must have earned his focus, and her eyebrows jumped upon recognising the very familiar-looking feather.

"Oh god." She whispered out, alarmed to have gotten caught by Mark twice now, already panicking with what questions would come her way.

Mark stepped forward and crouched down to pick the feather into his hands, studying it intently, and Jiyeon took the opportunity to quickly snatch it from his hands.

"Oh, thanks. I didn't notice it slipping from my notebook!" She exclaimed with a merry smile on her face while haphazardly shoving it in between a random page of her book.

"You seem to quite like it. Is it something special to you?" Mark questioned, pointing at her book that had the black feather pressed in between the sheets.

Jiyeon bit back the urge to rant about the demon, but she was forced to keep it to herself and instead plastered a smile, "Yes, of course. It's a priced possession of mine." She lied yet again.

A pang of guilt surged through her senses for fooling Mark with unnecessary lies when all she wanted was good company and a possible friendship, but the situation demanded that she be on her toes, all because her life was now intertwined with a demon.

Fuck you, Lee Donghyuck.

She cursed him mentally, taking the liberty of the demon who could not read minds.

"Sentimental, then. That's sweet." Mark smiled warmly.

Jiyeon did not take his compliment to her heart since it stemmed from a lie she threw in his direction, and her distracted eyes fell on the book in his hand.

"You have a liking for fantasy, I assume." She remarked, glancing at the title imprinted in bold orange and red colours with small detailings on the background.

"Elytra, a story untold?" She read out the title as she tilted her head.

Mark's smile diminished instantly, and his arm swiftly moved behind his back, partially hiding the book from her sight, scratching his nape awkwardly as the tips of his ear were tinted red.

"What is it about?" She asked, glad to have found a topic that steered attention away from her and now onto him.

"Uh, just a regular fantasy novel- y'know about dragons and whatnot." Mark rambled hurriedly as he turned to face the bookshelf.

"Dragons, huh?" Jiyeon laughed, finding ease as she kept her mind off of the demon.

"Why, you think dragons sound silly?"

Well, if demons exist, why not dragons? She thought casually.

"No, not at all. In fact, I myself enjoy watching the vampire diaries." She added, drumming her nails on the book, standing alongside Mark-gradually beginning to enjoy his company.

"Ah, I'm aware of the series." Mark nodded as he grabbed about four books and stacked them on his propped arm.

"Are you seriously gonna study all of them before exams start?" She almost gagged at the insane dedication he seemed to have, which she ultimately lacked since her work took up most of her time, along with university.

"I skim through, mostly."

"Stop being so humble." Jiyeon shook her head at his modesty.

"You got me there." Mark raised his hand in surrender, eliciting a chuckle from her.

The two continued to converse endlessly until it was time for her shift to commence, growing from strangers to acquaintances within just a few days.

what do y'all think Elytra is??

NOW do not google what it means 💀

I picked it cause it sounded cool to me 👩‍🦯👩‍🦯