Eliza

~Present Day~

A rush of memories flood me from that night.

It wasn't the first time it had happened today. I'd fallen apart earlier while going through part of the attic. I'd decided it was a necessary evil while I was still able to climb the ladder. I'd found the wings there, along with my costume and the box of items I'd kept from our days of dating.

It doesn't dawn on me until it's too late that they're sitting in the corner of the living room.

"I just went ahead and packed up all of your make up and hair stuff," he says the words, stopping almost instantly when he watches my hand smooth over the top of my wig. "Sorry," he shifts uncomfortably for only a second before he's walking past me once more.

While I remain rooted in place, he tosses everything that's left into the suitcase, zips it up and gathers the garment bag. "You ready?"

"I'm not going anywhere with you, Brandt. We have no reason to spend anymore time together than necessary."

I don't tack onto the fact that I gave him nine years and promised him a lifetime that he chose to throw away. I certainly don't owe him a day or minute longer of the short amount of time I may have left.

Brandt stands toe to toe with me. "Yeah, you are, and yes you do." As if those were his final words, he leaves me dumbfounded as he makes his way back through the house. I chase after him like a puppy, barely making it out of the bedroom door when my cell phone rings from my pocket.

"Hello," I snap, not paying attention to who could be on the other line and if it's the luck I'm having today it'll be my doctor's office.

"Hey, friend!"

Harper's voice fills my ear and I immediately want to fall apart all over again. "Hey. Care to explain-"

She ignores me and keeps on talking, very out of character for Davis's bride to be. "So, we had to change the date for the wedding. I hope you don't mind, we just moved it up a couple of months. I mean, you already have your dress and everything. I thought doing it during your summer break would work out really well."

"So, I've heard."

"Brandt took some time off work, mentioned he might make a little vacation out of it for the two of you and I thought how precious! If Davis ever has the idea to do something so sweet for me I'd probably question whether or not he's cheating on me."

She laughs. I don't.

Instead, confusion clouds my mind and I'm wondering if my pain medication I took early this morning is still having lingering effects.
"I can't wait to see you in two weeks, Eliza! It's been too long. Gotta go. Hugs!"

And the line disconnects.

Everything about the way Harper acted on the phone, down to her tone of voice, screams 'set up.'

If a glare could kill, Brandt would be six feet under with the way I'm lasering in on his back as I march up to him in the living room.

I'm ready to slap my hand against the back of his head without hearing any sort of explanation he could possibly come up with, but his words and the direction of his gaze stops me.

"You kept them?"

~Past~

"Dance with me?"

His words catch me off guard. I look around the middle of the old diner. A late night radio show is playing through the speakers that need a good rewiring. Janice is wiping down every table but ours in preparation for the extra early morning crowd.