Chapter 9.4: Echoes of Power and Destiny

Scene 1: Waking to an Unfamiliar Presence

Kiana wakes up, her head heavy, eyes blinking open to the unfamiliar sight of a quiet room. She feels the ache of her body, and the memory of recent events threatens to drown her. Her gaze shifts, and she sees Durandal sitting beside her bed, quietly reading a book.

Kiana: (groggy, her voice barely audible) Where... am I...?

Durandal glances up from her book, closing it softly, her face calm yet watchful.

Durandal: You're awake. We're in a safe location within Schicksal. You've been resting for a while.

Kiana's eyes widen briefly as the weight of reality crushes down on her again—Himeko's sacrifice, the destruction, the pain of losing everything.

Kiana: (choking on her words) I don't deserve to be safe...

Durandal sets her book aside, her gaze now fixed firmly on Kiana. There's a softness in her expression, but her words are strong and purposeful.

Durandal: Himeko didn't give her life for you to lie here and waste away in guilt. You have a purpose, Kiana. You need to get stronger, for her... for everyone.

Kiana clenches her fists, her body trembling as the guilt consumes her.

Kiana: It's my fault... She's dead because of me. I couldn't control the Herrscher... I—

Durandal: (interrupting) Enough. You aren't the Herrscher. You are Kiana Kaslana. Himeko fought to give you a future—don't you dare throw that away.

Kiana's breath hitches as Himeko's name pierces her heart again.

Durandal: You may feel broken now, but that doesn't mean you can't stand up again. I'm going to help you learn to control your power. It's time to stop running from it.

Scene 2: Training Amid the Shadows

Days pass, and Durandal trains Kiana relentlessly. The training ground is harsh, every exercise pushing Kiana to her limit. Durandal's voice cuts through the air like a blade.

Durandal: (sharp) You're relying on your emotions too much! Focus on control, not power!

Kiana stumbles, gasping for breath, sweat pouring down her face. She grits her teeth as she tries to push back against the overwhelming pressure inside her.

Kiana: I'm trying... but it's too much. She's too strong... I can't—

Durandal: (stern) Stop! You are not her! You're stronger than you think, but you have to stop giving in to fear.

Durandal steps forward, grabbing Kiana by the shoulders, forcing her to look into her eyes.

Durandal: Do you know why Lyka, Bronya, and even Mei haven't given up on you? It's because they know you can fight this. Lyka's still fighting for you. Don't waste her faith.

Kiana's eyes widen, the mention of Lyka snapping something in her. She had been so wrapped up in her guilt, she hadn't even thought about how her friends were still counting on her.

Kiana: (whispers) Lyka...

Durandal: Yes. She's fighting her own battles, just like you are. But she believes in you. So don't let her fight alone.