A Promise Beyond Worlds

Chapter 12.3: A Promise Beyond Worlds

Scene 1: The Aftermath of the Battle

The battle had left its mark on everyone aboard the Hyperion. After defeating the World Serpent's soldiers, the crew was left to process the aftermath. But Lyka's sudden pain, linked to the escaped prisoner's manipulation of dimensions, had left her weakened. Though she had fought valiantly, the strain was visible in her tired expression.

Now, in her room, Lyka lay on her bed, her body still recovering from the intense surge of magic. Her thoughts were clouded by exhaustion, but she couldn't shake the feeling that something more was at play—that the prisoner's actions were only the beginning of a greater challenge.

Kiana stood at the door, watching Lyka with a heavy heart. She had seen Lyka push herself to the brink before, but this time felt different. The pain in Lyka's eyes, the way her body had been wracked by the dimension's instability—it frightened Kiana in ways she hadn't expected.

She stepped into the room quietly, her worry evident as she moved closer to Lyka's side.

Scene 2: The Promise of a Friend

Kiana stood beside Lyka's bed, her fists clenched in frustration. She hated seeing Lyka like this—exhausted, weakened, and vulnerable. She hated that she couldn't do more to help her. After everything they had been through together, she wanted to protect Lyka, just as Lyka had always protected her.

Kiana: (softly, her voice trembling) You shouldn't push yourself so hard, Lyka...

Lyka looked up, her tired eyes meeting Kiana's. Despite the pain she was feeling, she smiled gently, always trying to reassure Kiana that things would be okay.

Lyka: (softly, smiling) I'll be fine. I've faced worse, Kiana. Don't worry about me.

Kiana shook her head, her frustration bubbling to the surface. She couldn't just let it go—not this time.

Kiana: (firmly) No, Lyka. I can't just sit by and watch you hurt yourself like this. You're always thinking about everyone else, but who's going to look out for you?

Lyka's smile faded slightly, the seriousness in Kiana's voice catching her off guard. She had always been the protector, the one to stand by Kiana's side and shield her from the worst. But seeing Kiana so determined, so upset, made Lyka realize just how much Kiana cared for her.

Lyka: (gently) Kiana...

Kiana sat down beside Lyka, her hands trembling as she looked at her friend. She had been through so much—losing Himeko, struggling with her feelings for Mei, and now facing the growing threat of the World Serpent. But through it all, Lyka had been there, supporting her, fighting for her. And now, Kiana felt like she needed to do the same for Lyka.

Kiana: (softly, with emotion) I don't want to lose you, Lyka. You mean so much to me... you've always been there for me, even when I didn't deserve it. I... I don't know how to say this, but...

Kiana's voice cracked, the weight of her feelings overwhelming her. She wasn't just worried about Lyka's health—she was scared of losing someone she loved. But as much as she cared for Lyka, there was still a part of her heart that belonged to Mei. That unresolved tension gnawed at her, but she didn't want to focus on that now. Right now, she just wanted to protect Lyka.