Chapter 15

Lily sat on a bench outside the café, staring blankly at the ground. She felt numb, still processing the weight of her breakup with Colin. A familiar car pulled up, and her heart skipped a beat when she recognized Zane behind the wheel. He parked, stepped out, and his gaze found hers immediately.

Without saying a word, he walked over and took her hand gently, guiding her to the passenger side of the car. Once inside, the silence enveloped them, thick and heavy. The engine purred to life, and Zane began driving, the scenery passing by in a blur.

For the next thirty minutes, they drove without speaking. Lily kept her gaze out the window, lost in her thoughts, while Zane occasionally threw glances in her direction, concern etched on his face, but he didn't push her to talk.

Finally, breaking the silence, Lily turned to Zane. "Do you think this is a mistake?"

He looked straight ahead, contemplating her question. "What is a mistake? Us?"

"I mean... I don't know. I've been so confused lately." She hesitated, gathering her courage. "You want to be more than friends with me, right?"

Zane's expression softened as he glanced at her. "You know I like you, Lily. I've been drawn to you in a way I can't explain either."

Her heart raced as she heard him admit his feelings. "I broke up with Colin," she confessed, her voice trembling. "I knew it would be unfair to him if I kept thinking about you. But he got so angry and just left. I don't know what to do, Zane. I just... I don't know."

Zane reached for her hand, intertwining their fingers. "Lily, I'm here. It'll all be fine," he said, his voice steady and reassuring.

He suddenly pulled the car over, turning to face her completely. "I won't leave you, Lily. You should know that by now."

Her heart swelled at his words, a mixture of relief and hope washing over her. For the first time, she felt that maybe breaking up with Colin was the best decision she could have made.

"Promise?" she asked, searching his eyes for sincerity.

"I promise," he replied earnestly.

In that moment, everything around them faded away. The weight of her past, the guilt, the pain—none of it mattered as they leaned in closer. Their lips met in a soft, tentative kiss that quickly deepened, igniting a spark she had longed for.

For those few precious seconds, everything else disappeared. She forgot all about Colin and the hurt of their breakup. It was just Zane—the boy who had captured her heart in a way she never expected, the one she wanted to explore this new chapter with.

When they finally pulled apart, they exchanged soft smiles, the unspoken understanding between them clear. In that moment, Lily knew she had made the right choice.