Chapter 22

Zane sat at the corner table in the café, glancing at the door every few minutes. It had been three days since he sent Lily that message, and his heart ached with every passing hour without a response. The air was thick with the aroma of coffee, but all he could think about was the emptiness where Lily should have been.

He remembered the warmth of her laughter, the way her eyes sparkled when she talked about her passions. Each moment they shared echoed in his mind, reminding him of how deeply he felt for her.

"Dude, are you seriously still waiting for her?" Jake asked, plopping down across from Zane with a raised eyebrow.

Zane shrugged, the weight of uncertainty heavy on his shoulders. "I have to talk to her. I messed up, and I want to make it right."

Jake sighed. "You can't just sit here forever. Maybe you should give her some space."

"I can't do that," Zane replied, determination flickering in his eyes. "She deserves an explanation, and I need her to know how sorry I am."

As the hours dragged on, Zane felt a mixture of hope and despair. On the third day, he had nearly lost faith. Just as he was about to give up and head home, the door swung open, and there she stood—Lily, looking hesitant but determined.

His heart raced as he stood up, trying to catch her gaze. "Lily!"

She walked slowly toward him, a flicker of uncertainty in her eyes. "I... I didn't know if I should come."

"Please, just sit down," Zane urged, gesturing to the empty chair across from him. "I've been waiting for you."

Lily hesitated for a moment before sinking into the chair. "I didn't know what to say."

"I didn't either," Zane admitted, running a hand through his hair. "But I've thought about it a lot, and I need to apologize. I messed up by kissing Emily. It was a mistake, and I never wanted to hurt you. I was confused about everything—about us, about my feelings."

"Why did you kiss her, Zane?" Lily's voice trembled, the hurt evident in her eyes.

"I don't know," he admitted, running a hand through his hair. "I was at a party, and everyone was drinking. I started thinking about everything—what people were saying about us, what your mom said. I panicked, and then Emily was there. She tried to kiss me, and I... I didn't stop it in time."

Lily looked away, tears threatening to spill. "You said you wanted to be with me. How can I trust you now?"

"I know I messed up," Zane said, leaning closer, urgency in his voice. "But the moment I kissed her, I knew it was wrong. I want to be with you, Lily. You're the one I care about. I love you."

Silence enveloped them, Lily's heart pounding as Zane's words sank in. She searched his eyes for sincerity, and when she found it, the dam broke. "I love you too," she confessed, her voice barely above a whisper. "But I need to know that you're all in."

"I am," he promised, reaching for her hand. "No more running away. I want to be the boyfriend you deserve. Can we start over?"

Lily nodded, tears of relief streaming down her cheeks as she leaned in, their lips meeting in a soft kiss that held the promise of a fresh start.