Please Be Ok

Harumi's POV:

The sounds of birds chirping fills the air. Long, soft grass brushes against my legs as I wade through the endless field.

Lloyd leads me towards a towering tree that lies about 100 meters from the city. A large elegant oak tree with a twisting trunk and branches that reach for the sky. A canopy of emerald leaves blocks out the sun.

Emerald leaves that match his eyes.

I shake my head in an attempt to get that thought out of my mind. Lloyd stands at the trunk of the tree. I stand in front of him with an eyebrow raised. A smirk flits across his face before he reaches into the satchel he brought with him.

"We know your Oni power involves transferring energy," he says pulling out a light bulb, "so, try to transfer power into that,". He looks down at me expectantly.

I hesitate before responding "Lloyd, I lied about the Oni part,". I avoid his gaze but his silence says enough. I continue talking "I don't know what this power is, but it's not Oni."

He is silent for a couple of seconds before letting out a dry sarcastic chuckle. "Why am I not even surprised?" he murmurs, "So you lied about all of that, is there anything you do know?"

"I-I know that I started feeling a sort of energy under my skin about a month ago," I say.

Wait a month ago? That's when-

"Lloyd what's the date?" I ask quickly.

"Um, I think it's the third of June, why?" he asks, suspicion laced in his voice.

"I turned 16 last month," I whisper.

His eyes fly open "Do you think-"

"Yes," I say cutting him off. I meet his eyes again.

My thoughts begin to spiral. The timing is to close. I don't remember the exact date but it can't be a coincidence. Can it? It makes sense. It makes sense how this power came out of nowhere. It must have been timed, right? Panic starts to claw up my throat.

It makes sense but it also raises more questions. 

Like where does this power come from?

If someone gave it to me then from who?

And why? 

What is it for?

Am I a weapon?

Or was I born like this?

But surely I would have noticed if I was.

Am I being prepared for something?

Is it dangerous?

Am I dangerous?

I didn't realise I was pacing until Lloyd reaches out and grabs my arm to stop me. If I didn't know better I could've sworn I saw something like worry fly across his face, but I quickly divert my gaze. Instead my eyes lock onto the hand that lingers on my arm.

"Harumi," he says waiting for me to meet his eyes. Reluctantly I do. "Harumi relax, just take a breath-"

My eyes narrow "I am no child for you to-"

"Do it, it will help clear your mind." he says with a steady calmness that infuriates me even more, but I swallow my pride and do as he says. I take a steading breath and close my eyes briefly, opening them only to find Lloyd wearing a curious expression.

"What." I snap at him.

"Nothing." he muses.

I look down to see Lloyd holding the light bulb in his hand. He follows my gaze and holds it out for me. I look at the bulb and then at Lloyd before taking it.