Juliens pov

Julien's POV

I was sprawled on the couch, mindlessly flipping through channels when an unsettling thought struck me like a lightning bolt. Holy fuck, I was falling for Emily. The realization hit me hard, sending my heart racing. But what about Valerie? The guilt twisted in my stomach like a knife. I had to go to Valerie. I just had to.

But first, I needed to know if Emily liked me like that. I couldn't just break off my engagement with Valerie for someone who might not give a shit about me. I needed to make sure I wasn't throwing away a solid relationship for something that might just be a fleeting crush.

As I made my way to Emily's house, my mind was a whirlwind of thoughts. What if she didn't feel the same? What if this was all in my head? I parked outside her house, took a deep breath, and walked up to her front door. The moment I stepped inside, my heart dropped. There sat Valerie, looking beautiful as ever, next to Emily—the hottest girl in the room.

Had I really fallen for two girls? The tension in my chest tightened. I felt like I was caught in a fucking love triangle straight out of a rom-com, except this wasn't a movie. This was real life, and real emotions were at stake. I glanced at Emily, her eyes sparkling with excitement, while Valerie sat there, seemingly calm, but there was an intensity in her gaze that I couldn't ignore.

As we all chatted, I felt a pang of regret. Should I stay with the girl I had been with for so long, the one who was practically my best friend? Or should I pursue the girl who seemed perfect in every way, who made my heart race with just a glance? I wished I could have both, but we all knew that wasn't going to happen.

After a long, agonizing hour of pretending everything was fine, I excused myself. I drove home, my mind racing. I needed to sort my feelings out before I made any drastic decisions. I felt like I was teetering on a precipice, and one wrong move could send me tumbling down.

An hour later, I found myself back at Emily's door, heart pounding as I knocked. When she opened the door, the smile on her face made my heart flutter. I stepped inside, my resolve hardening. I couldn't keep pretending. "Emily," I started, feeling the weight of my confession press down on me. "I need to talk to you."

Her expression shifted from joy to concern, and I took a deep breath. "I've been thinking a lot about us. You mean a lot to me, and I think I might be falling for you."

The moment hung in the air, thick with anticipation. Emily's eyes widened, and I could see the realization dawning on her. Before I could say anything more, I leaned in and kissed her. It was soft and tentative at first, but then it deepened, and all the confusion, the tension, and the longing between us exploded into that one perfect moment.

But as I pulled back, a horrifying realization hit me: standing in the doorway was Valerie. The look on her face was a mixture of shock and hurt. Before I could say anything, she turned on her heel and bolted away, leaving me standing there frozen, my heart sinking into my stomach.

"Fuck! Valerie!" I shouted, but she was already gone, swallowed by the night. I turned back to Emily, who looked just as confused as I felt. "I didn't mean for her to see that," I stammered, running a hand through my hair.

"I think we need to figure this out," Emily said softly, her eyes clouded with uncertainty. I nodded, feeling the weight of my mistakes crashing down on me.

Without wasting another moment, I raced to Valerie's house, my heart pounding in my chest. I needed to explain, to apologize for everything. When I arrived, I knocked frantically on her door, feeling desperation clawing at me. After what felt like an eternity, she opened the door, her eyes puffy from crying.

"Julien, I... I can't do this," she said, her voice shaky.

"Please, just let me explain," I begged, stepping closer. "I didn't mean for you to see that. It just... happened."

"I thought we had something, Julien," she replied, her voice breaking. "I thought we were working toward something real."

I felt a pang of guilt shoot through me. "We were, and we still can be. But I need to be honest with you. I'm confused about my feelings. I thought I loved you, but then Emily came into the picture, and everything got complicated."

Valerie's eyes filled with tears. "You don't get to just switch your feelings off. You can't just pick and choose who you want when it's convenient for you."

I reached for her hand, but she pulled away. "I know I messed up, and I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I don't want to lose you, Valerie."

We stood there in silence, the weight of the moment hanging heavy between us. "I don't want to be a second choice," she finally said, her voice barely above a whisper. "I can't do this if you're not fully invested."

My heart sank at her words. "I get it. But I care about you, and I want to make this work. Just give me time to sort out my feelings. I don't want to lose you, Val."

After a long pause, she nodded slowly, wiping her tears away. "I just need to know you're serious about us. I need to know that you're not just going to jump ship the moment things get tough."

"I promise, I'll figure this out," I said, my voice firm. "I want to be with you. I just need to be honest about where I'm at right now."

We talked for hours, sharing our fears and insecurities. We cried, and in that moment of vulnerability, we found a sense of peace. It felt like we were stripping away the layers of hurt and misunderstanding, and I could see a glimmer of hope in her eyes.

As I left her house, I felt a sense of clarity wash over me. I knew I had to talk to Emily again, to figure out where we stood. I drove back to Emily's, feeling the adrenaline pumping through me. When I arrived, I knocked, and she answered with a curious look.

"Julien, what's up?"

I stepped inside and took a deep breath. "I need to talk to you about what happened. I kissed you because I felt something, but I need to be clear about what I want."

Her eyes narrowed slightly, and I could sense her apprehension. "Okay, I'm listening."

"I want to be with you, but I also don't want to hurt Valerie. I need to figure out my feelings for both of you before I can commit to anyone. Can you give me some time?"

Emily looked thoughtful for a moment before responding. "I understand. Just know that I care about you, and I don't want to be the reason you feel torn."

"Thanks, Emily. That means a lot," I replied, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders.

The next day, I decided it was time to talk to our moms. I wanted them to understand what was happening and how we were all feeling. When we sat down together, I took a deep breath. "Mom, I need to tell you something important."

I explained everything—my feelings for Emily, my confusion about Valerie, and how I felt I couldn't continue with the engagement without being honest with myself. To my surprise, my mom listened attentively, nodding along as I spoke.

After I finished, she sighed. "Julien, I can see how much you're struggling with this. It's important that you follow your heart, even if it means making tough decisions."

My mom's understanding gave me courage, and as I looked over at Emily's mom, I could see the warmth in her eyes as well.

In a matter of days, the engagement was officially called off. I felt a mixture of relief and sadness, knowing that it was the right decision for everyone involved. It wasn't easy, but I knew it was necessary.

As I stood outside with Emily, watching the sunset, I felt hopeful for what was to come. "So, where do we go from here?" I asked, looking into her eyes.

Emily smiled softly, a hint of excitement sparkling in her gaze. "I think we just take it one day at a time. Let's see where this goes, together."

And for the first time in a long time, I felt like I was exactly where I was meant to be.