CHAPTER 6 : FALLING INTO THE ABYSS

Ethan sat on his 'bed' , the call with Rowan still echoing in his mind. The silence in the room felt heavy, broken only by the distant sound of his uncle’s laughter and Clara’s scolding voice from downstairs. They had no idea what was coming.

His heart raced as he anxiously glanced at the door, every creak of the floorboards sending shivers down his spine. He hadn’t realized how suffocating the atmosphere of the house was until he’d made the call. Rowan’s promise of help felt like a lifeline, and for the first time, the hope of escape flickered in his chest.

The minutes dragged on, feeling like hours. Ethan fiddled with his phone, scrolling aimlessly, but his mind was too chaotic to focus. What if Rowan couldn’t get to him in time? What if his uncle found out?

Suddenly, he heard the sound of tires crunching on gravel outside. His breath hitched in his throat as he moved to the window. A dark van sat at the curb, its engine humming quietly. Ethan's heart raced—was this it? Was Rowan’s team finally here?

He hurried back to his bed, his pulse pounding in his ears. He had to stay calm, but the adrenaline coursing through him made it nearly impossible. He could hear Clara in the kitchen, bustling around as if nothing was wrong, unaware of the storm brewing outside their home.

The door creaked open, and Ethan’s breath caught in his throat. His uncle loomed in the doorway, a frown etched on his face. “What are you doing up here?” Marcus  barked. “ Do the dishes”

“I... I was just coming,” Ethan stammered, backing away from the door. He felt cornered, a rabbit caught in a snare.

“Now!” Marcus ordered, his voice low and menacing.

Ethan hesitated, fear gripping him. He had to keep it together just a little longer. “Okay, I’ll be right there,” he said, forcing his voice to remain steady.

“Make it quick,” his uncle growled before turning away.

Ethan’s heart pounded as he waited for Marcus  to disappear down the hallway. The weight of the decision pressed on him. He could run now, make a break for it, but what if he was caught?

He looked around the room, his eyes landing on the small window. It was a tight fit, but it was his only chance. He gathered his backpack, stuffing it with a few essentials: his worn notebook, a pen, and the frayed photo of his parents.

With one last glance at his room—the walls that had confined him, the memories that haunted him—Ethan climbed onto the broken chair  and opened the window. The cool night air rushed in, a stark contrast to the stifling atmosphere inside.

He took a deep breath, heart racing, and climbed out. The ground felt firm beneath his feet as he landed quietly, trying to suppress the noise of his landing. The van sat a few yards away, dark and inviting.

“Ethan!” a voice whispered urgently from the shadows. It was Jake, one of Rowan's associates, waving him over. “Come on! We need to move!”

Ethan’s breath caught in his throat as he darted toward the van, his heart pounding in his chest. The thrill of freedom surged through him, but fear chased closely behind.

“Get in!” Jake urged as Ethan climbed into the back. The door shut with a solid thud, sealing him away from his old life.

Ethan’s heart raced as the van pulled away from the curb. The lights of his old life dimmed in the distance, and for the first time in years, he felt a glimmer of hope spark within him. The darkness of his aunt and uncle’s house faded away, and the promise of a new beginning loomed ahead.

Inside the van, Jake sat beside him, his expression serious yet encouraging. “You did great, Ethan. You’re safe now,” he reassured, sensing the whirlwind of emotions that coursed through the boy.