eight

Chapter Eight

October 14, 2024

Reeva walked into the house. She paused for a moment, taking in the scene that unfolded before her. Kayla, her best friend since their teenage years, was animatedly discussing something with her parents, Phil and April.

"Seriously, they're so cute together, Papa Phil! Let's start looking for property," Kayla exclaimed.

Reeva rolled her eyes, a habitual response to Kayla's boundless enthusiasm, especially when it came to romantic prospects. The girl was relentless. Reeva had known Kayla long enough to anticipate her outbursts, and today was no different.

Phil leaned back in his chair, a bemused smile dancing across his lips. "Are they really cute together?" he replied.

Kayla didn't miss a beat. "I'm telling you that they'll be married in a couple of months, and we'll be living in a compound in San Francisco because that's where he's from. We can't uproot seven kids!" She gestured emphatically, her fingers slicing through the air as if to punctuate her points.

Reeva shook her head as she stepped further into the kitchen, the sounds of their banter melding into the background. Kayla had a penchant for the dramatic; it was one of the qualities that made her an excellent publicist, but also one that often exasperated Reeva.

"A week and you've already gone to New York twice with Jacob," April interjected, her tone a mix of concern and incredulity.

Reeva could sense her mother's protective instincts kicking in, always wary of Reeva's wild aspirations for love and family.

"Seven kids, princess. Are you ready for that kind of responsibility?" Phil asked, turning his gaze toward Reeva.

His eyes held a mix of teasing and genuine curiosity. Reeva opened the refrigerator, her fingers brushing against the cool metal as she grabbed a bottle of water. She twisted the cap off and took a sip, the cold liquid refreshing against the warm air of the kitchen.

"Honestly, Dad, I'm just trying to get through my own life right now," she replied, trying to keep her voice light.

She felt the weight of their expectations sometimes, the unspoken pressure to live up to the image of stability that her parents had cultivated over the years. She leaned against the counter, letting the coolness of the granite seep into her skin.

"Don't you want that kind of life, though?" Kayla asked, her tone softening as she shifted her focus from Phil to Reeva. "I mean, a big family, a loving partner—don't you ever think about it?"

Reeva bit her lip, contemplating her response. She loved Kayla fiercely, but sometimes their visions of the future felt worlds apart. "I think about it, but it's not something I'm ready to chase after. Not now. I've got my career, and... I don't know, maybe it's just not my time yet."

Phil nodded, sensing the seriousness of her tone. "It's okay to want to focus on yourself first. Life has a way of working things out." His reassurance felt grounding, reminding Reeva that she didn't have to rush.

Kayla, however, wasn't easily deterred. "But life is so much better when you're sharing it with someone! You should be out there, experiencing all of it, not just coasting."

Reeva laughed lightly. "Coasting? Is that what you think I'm doing?" She didn't want to sound defensive, but the implication nagged at her. She had her ambitions, her passions; they were just different from Kayla's.

"Not coasting, but... not fully diving in either." Kayla's brow furrowed, a genuine concern etched across her face. "I just don't want you to miss out on anything."