Chapter 4

I was stirred awake by the rosey sun glowing on the wood panels all around me. I lay still for a moment taking in the tiny dust particles floating like tiny fairies in a strip of light suspended across my body. I stirred Leadanah awake with thoughts of our Mother. I felt her smile sleepily. I ran my hand along the wall beside me feeling the new heat of the day and rose to dress and join Sylvie and Kandrah for breakfast.
When I didn't find them in the main cabin I searched Sylvie's room but still did not find them until I heard soft crying coming from Kandrah's cabin and paused listening at the heavy curtain.
"Hold on sweety." Sylvie's voice slipped through.
She was talking in a calming tone, as though speaking to a child but I could hear a slight shake in her voice like the nervous twittering of a bird. I felt Leadanah listening in. Kandrah gasped and then cried in despair.
"God Sylvie," she sputtered. "I want to go home"
"Kandrah, you mustn't talk like this. It's not so bad, we will be back in the castle soon dear. You, you can write home"
"He's going to kill me if this keeps on." Kandrah moaned.
"We will be home soon. He will give you a break, see the other girls. I'll, I'll talk to him Kandrah. I'll ask him to leave you be for a while." Sylvie was saying reassuringly.
"No you must not tell him, don't talk to him for me! He will get angry. You know he will! Please don't Sylvie. Kandrah pleaded.
"I just don't know why he wants to be so rough with you. Darling you really must try not to show distress you know it only gets him excited"
"I, I can't Sylvie, it hurts so bad. And he scares me."
"You try this, when it hurts and you must cry out, try to make it a sound like pleasure, dear. And don't look so frightened. You must learn to control your face. You can practice making pleasure faces in the mirror. It may seem silly but no one will know. It has worked for me when he gets too rough."
I can't Sylvie, I'm Not like you. I'm so small he can crush me with one hand. I wish I were dead, I don't know how much of this I can take."
"Now you stop that ridiculous talk right now Kandrah! We will be home soon. Just make yourself scarce, he will forget you for a while. Just stay here in your cabin for the rest of the trip. I Will bring you your food and watch after these wounds." Sylvie scolded her. Her voice though was husky.
I could hear Kandrah crying softly now. I imagined her thrown forward into her pillows muffling her sons.
"Stay in your room hunny, out of sight out of mind. You'll see. I'll keep him company.
Kandrah groaned, "Noooo." Her sobs becoming more desperate.
"Enough silliness. He doesn't hurt me the same way and he likes my jokes. I'm ok. Stay in here I will keep you." Sylvie said.
Kandrah's muffled sobs grew louder for a moment as Sylvie swung the curtain to the side stepping out of the cabin. She looked up at me, startled.
"Oh, Andley, I didn't know you were up" she said cheerfully.
Her eyes met mine and we saw each others terror.
"Now you just don't pay Kandrah any mind. She will be ok. You don't have to worry for yourself sweetheart. He doesn't....what I mean dear is that your status will protect you. You will be head mate to the Prince. He is not permitted to harm you. Okay? Please don't be frightened."

Her voice raced yet she still sounded like she was singing. I stared at her my eyes must have Been swimming in fear.
"No really Andley, you know Kandrah she's new. She hasn't learned yet that's all. She will be well, we all learn how to handle Prince Marston in our own way. She will find hers".
"what does he do to her?" I asked trembling.
What indeed Leadanah asked in dark amusement.
When Sylvie next spoke it seemed to be with ture anger.
"That is not talk for ladies or friends to share among each other Andley. Please don't ask anyone about this thing" she said sternly. "We must not gossip or pity ourselves or eachother. Never ask your sisters what may shame them." She softened her tone with visible effort. "I know you don't understand love, it's ok, I am sorry I spoke harshly to you. I forgot for a moment where you are from. How you must have been loved."
I stared confused while Leadanah barked about the Audacity of Sylvie in the back of my mind.
"Rathon looks to be gentle." she said sweetly.
"what?" I asked. Startled away from thoughts of Kandrah. "What do you mean?"
"Don't worry sweetheart, it isn't so obvious, the others don't have such a keen sense of smell as I do. It wasn't the sex, but the pheromones, I can smell them. You two were, upset. But not to worry it is a rare trait.
"it's, not," I stammered. "It's not wrong." I finished resolutely.
"Rathon and I are not related. we never saw each other they way others describe us. As siblings or him as a father to me. It's just how things turned out for us.
"Darling of course not. families change in war, we end up where we end up if we live at all." Sylvie said smiling.

"She's distracting you". Leadanah said slowly. "She wanted you to stop asking questions so she's putting you out so you will think about other things."
"It's working." I thought. "How can she smell different kinds of pheromones? So distinctive? Like smelling the feelings of others?"
"That's a concern for us Andley." Said Leadanah. "What can she know of us just by smell".
"I need to bring poor Kandrah some tea, and then ready myself for when the Prince wakes. He may want to take a walk today, or go riding. Would you like to come?" She asked.
A cloud must have moved away from the sun as she smiled because the room shimmered and grew brighter as a beam of sunlight crossed over my eyes. I had to blink several times to get the light out.
"I don't trust her". Leadanah growled.
"No thank you Sylvie, may I join you over breakfast though?" I said.
"Yes dear, please meet me in an hour" she patted my shoulder lightly as she passed.