Chapter 15 | A Dangerous Truth

Sigrid stood just inside Freydis's chamber, the door closing quietly behind her. The princess's blue eyes held a sharpness that made Freydis's pulse quicken, a sense that Sigrid's visit was more than a mere courtesy. Freydis straightened from where she sat at the edge of her bed, her fingers tightening on the blanket.

"I've been watching you, Freydis," Sigrid began, her voice measured. "The way you look at Erik... it's more than the concern of a noblewoman for her king's messenger." She took a step closer, her gaze not wavering. "You love him, don't you?"

Freydis's breath caught, and she opened her mouth to deny it, but the words wouldn't come. The truth had been buried beneath layers of duty and fear, yet it seemed to pulse beneath her skin, demanding to be spoken. She swallowed hard, her voice barely above a whisper. "Yes," she admitted, "I love him."

For a moment, Sigrid's expression softened, a glint of understanding appearing in her eyes. Then she shook her head slowly. "It was foolish of him to come here," she said. "If my father knew..."

"He doesn't," Freydis cut in, her tone sharper than she intended. "No one does."

Sigrid arched an eyebrow. "And yet, he's risked everything for you," she said, her voice low. "He struck Arlick in front of the entire hall. That isn't the act of a man indifferent to his own fate, or to yours."

Freydis's heart twisted. She knew the risk Erik had taken, knew that it had cost him his freedom and might soon cost him his life. "I never wanted him to fight for me," she whispered. "I just wanted peace."

"Peace is a rare gift," Sigrid replied, a touch of bitterness creeping into her tone. "Especially for those of us who live within the walls of power. My father has grown suspicious of me, Freydis. He's begun to wonder why I defend you, why I seem to take an interest in what happens to you and Erik." She hesitated, her gaze softening. "If he learns the truth, he won't hesitate to use it against you."

Freydis's eyes met Sigrid's, the unspoken fear they both shared hanging in the air. "What should I do?" she asked, her voice trembling. "If Erik defeats Jarl Arlick in the ring, then the eastern clans will see it as a challenge. And if Arlick wins..." She couldn't bring herself to finish the sentence.

Sigrid's face hardened, and she reached out to place a hand on Freydis's arm. "We pray," she said softly, "to the gods for justice."

"But what if justice is not in our favor?" Freydis asked, her voice breaking.

"Then we do what we must to survive," Sigrid replied. "If Erik loses, you will not be safe here. I'll do what I can to help you escape before Arlick has a chance to take out his vengeance on you."

The words, though meant to reassure, sent a chill through Freydis's spine. "And if Erik wins?"

Sigrid's eyes darkened. "Then we brace ourselves for the consequences. But know this—whatever happens, the gods see all. We can only hope they grant Erik the strength to prevail."

Freydis nodded slowly, a sense of helplessness settling over her. She had always known that her choices were bound by duty, but now, more than ever, it felt like the path ahead was narrowing, and all she could do was cling to the hope that the gods would not abandon them.

As Sigrid turned to leave, she glanced back at Freydis, a hint of something unspoken in her expression. "You love him," she repeated softly. "That is a dangerous thing. But perhaps... it is also a powerful one." Without another word, she slipped from the chamber, leaving Freydis alone with the storm of emotions swirling inside her.

Freydis sank back onto the bed, her thoughts tangled between love and fear, between loyalty to her family and the burning need to see Erik walk free. She closed her eyes and whispered a prayer to the gods.