1-10

Chapter 1 Rebirth
Inside the ward, the monitor emitted a shrill beeping sound, like a distant death knell, calling the dying to keep moving forward.

Ruan Jingwen's eyes were dull, and she walked around the doctors who were trying to save her and her wailing friends in a daze, and stumbled up to the top floor of the hospital.

She had just experienced the most difficult life and death situation in her life. Her only hope in life, her son, passed away painfully after enduring a year of pain and suffering from illness.

Before he died, the boy finally forgave her and called her "Mom" again. This call after ten years was like a hand reaching into her chest, tightly grasping her heart, making her even breathe painful.

Ruan Jingwen stood on the rooftop, looking calmly at the cloudless sky. The sun was particularly dazzling today, without the heavy rain that matched people's mood in the movies.

She laughed at herself for being distracted before dying, and countless thoughts of regret flashed through her mind.

If I had been braver and not let Liu Jianguo beat me when I was pregnant, would Xinxin not have gotten sick? If Xinxin had not been sold by Liu Jianguo and stayed with me, would she not have died? If I had been tougher and not listened to my brother and sister-in-law and not married Liu Jianguo, would I and Xinxin have lived happily ever after?

It's too late.

"Xinxin, mom is here."

Ruan Jingwen murmured, smiled, closed her eyes, and jumped down——

In a daze, she could hear the scolding and yelling that Ruan Jingwen had been hearing for half her life. The voice was sharp and mean, and it was always like a cold wind blowing on her face in the coldest days of winter, chilling to the bone.

Ruan Jingwen thought, could it be that the old woman died with me?

"You little bitch, are you dead in bed?"

Amid the increasingly clearer shouting and cursing, Ruan Jingwen slowly opened her eyes.

It was just dawn, still dark and inky in color. With a little light from the window, Ruan Jingwen stared blankly at the familiar roof covered with newspapers and responded reflexively.

Old Lady Liu pressed her sarcastic face against the glass, banging on it with her teeth bared, and yelling, "You shameless slut, you really think you're a rich lady, get up quickly and feed the pigs!"

Ruan Jingwen suddenly came to her senses and jumped up. Should she be fed to pigs after she died?

She looked around blankly. This was the shabby house she had lived in for more than ten years. Even though it had been renovated later, the basic layout had not changed. She lowered her head, and her six-month pregnant belly blocked her view.

Xinxin wasn't born yet, this was 1984, and she went back fifteen years?

Old Lady Liu's yelling and cursing continued to come in. Ruan Jingwen didn't have time to think about it. She put on her coat and went out. She dug up a bundle of pig grass at the foot of the wall, put it on the board, and skillfully took a kitchen knife to start cutting it.

Old Lady Liu rolled her eyes and glared at Ruan Jingwen, continuing to curse, "Marrying such a slut, our Liu family is really unlucky for eight lifetimes."

Ruan Jingwen has heard this sentence for fifteen years and has become accustomed to it no matter how sharp and harsh it is.

She glanced around secretly, and everything was the same as she remembered. This shabby little courtyard was filled with painful memories, where she had been abused and beaten countless times by the Liu family mother and son. The two of them took pleasure in torturing her, changing the way they did it, and never tired of it.