Chapter 7

Strange Max concentrated fully on the task at hand. The target was in sight and failure could not be tolerated. A thin smile spread across slightly parted lips as deep concentration took over. The target did not move an inch, laying motionless with wide eyes staring straight back at Max. It's sleek and soft body was a magnificent example of exactly how a dog should look and even in this state of fixation and readiness, Max had to appreciate the beauty of the animal. Max tensed and pushed one black booted foot a little more firmly on the ground to help keep the aim steady. Muscular arms held the weapon tightly as final and miniscule adjustments were made to ensure that the prey would not escape unscathed. The black leather jacket was a poor choice of clothing for this operation, but a choice that was unavoidable as Max was only ever seen dressed completely in black. Due to the heat of the jacket, along with increasing stress levels, a bead of perspiration formed and threatened to roll down Max's forehead. The time had come. Exhaling slowly, Max prepared to seal the dog's fate.

And then she was disturbed very noisily by Larry and Eddie.

"Hey Max, just the person we are looking for! We need a little of your time and expertise my friend," Eddie shouted, as he slapped Max firmly on the back.

"Eddie! You pushed me, you idiot!" Max exclaimed. The controls were jolted forward just as the silver claw was released. It plunged into the soft toy machine and missed the cuddly puppy by a mile before returning to its original position empty handed.

The boys had found Max in the place where all the young children and teenagers tend to spend their free time in Diddlesbury. The local shopping arcade has a small youth café on the upper floor. It is an area set aside for the teenagers to socialise in, it held a few tables and chairs, along with a couple of arcade machines and a pool table.

Max turned and glared at Eddie. "You owe me a cuddly puppy you chump, as far as I am concerned that dog was as good as mine and you made me miss."

"Aren't you a little old to play with teddies?" Eddie shot back, "I mean, teddy bears, really?"

Max smiled, revealing perfectly even white teeth and fluttered her eyelashes at both the boys. "Don't judge what you don't know Eddie, the dog is for my sister. It's her birthday soon and that was my gift for her. A gift won is a lot cheaper than a gift bought and as I don't have any spare cash right now, you just ruined my plan. Therefore, you owe me a cuddly puppy. It's simple economics, you dunderhead!"

Max stared defiantly at Eddie and Larry. Her black hair, t-shirt, jacket, jeans and boots could not distract from her bright personality and brighter intellect. Liked by most and trusted by everyone, Maxine was renowned for her honesty and willingness to help anyone in school with any studies that they found difficult. Whenever anyone asked her why she was so helpful and why she often stayed after classes to offer help with homework, she simply replied that she liked to help. As a result she had never really made what could be called a true friend, only lots of people she was friendly with. Outside of the classroom she was often alone, and over the years she had acquired the nickname, 'Strange Max'.

"I'll get you the stupid dog. And a cat and a monkey and a giraffe and a whole zoo of animals if you can help us with a little problem we are having. We need to tap into your brain database or, as I like to refer to it, your brainabase," Eddie said.

"Sure guys, am always happy to help, knowledge is the gift that keeps on giving!" Max unsurprisingly and cheerfully replied. "Let's talk, what can I do for you?"

"Let's go back to my house for lunch," offered Eddie. "We can eat while you give me and Larry a lesson." Larry and Max nodded in agreement. "That sounds good to me. What would you like me to teach you guys?" asked Max. "We need some research for a mystery that we are trying to solve. We believe that Diddlesbury is in great danger," replied Larry, with a look of complete seriousness on his face. "We need to know absolutely everything that you know about monsters, menaces, ghouls and ghosts.