Chapter 33

The figure approached right up to the bars of the cattle pen in the cellar, and peered closely through them at the five imprisoned faces. Durgle's face was set in a stern grimace, which was made even more disturbing by the gloom and shadow of the cellars.

"Please don't hurt us," pleaded Max. She was terrified of the worst happening and held on to Eddies hand with her own, her grip tightening on his, just as much as his grip was on hers. "Leave us alone, you monster!"

Durgle looked her straight in the eye and nodded his head very slowly in acknowledgement. As he did so, a tear ran down his aged face, and he answered her as gently as he could.

"I've come, dear child, to set you free.

Don't make a sound, and follow me."

Durgle removed a large iron key and unlocked the padlock and chains and placed them quietly on the ground. He pulled the cage door wide open and motioned with his hands for them all to follow. The children stepped out, followed swiftly by Meanwhistle and Reginald. Lord Meanwhistle stopped when he reached Durgle and grabbed him by the shoulders, pushing him back against the rough stone wall of the passage.

"What the devil are you playing at you traitorous subordinate! How very dare you even think about assaulting and abducting me in my own home! Why did you do it? Speak, tell me everything before I wring your scrawny neck you blasted turncoat!"

Durgle rushed his response, obviously upset and distressed at the whole turn of events.

"I have been the victim of an evil trick,

but we have to move on, we must be quick.

I honestly thought you were running the show,

but I'll explain later, now we have to go!

You will understand, who is our quarry,

but for now please forgive me, as I am so sorry.

I will amend this and I will make this right,

but we all must escape here, and get right out of sight!"

Meanwhistle stared deep into Durgle's eye's, as if he were searching for something only he could see. He let go of him and slapped him on the arm, like comrades or as partners would. "I believe you my old friend. Lead on!"

They all followed Durgle as he led them all through a series of passages until they approached a dead end. As they drew nearer it became apparent that it was actually a huge wooden sheet or door, except it did not have a handle of any kind. Durgle kicked the bottom right hand corner, activating a switch that caused it to swing open, soundlessly. They all stumbled through into the dining hall of the Manor and stepped to the side to allow the huge antique wooden dresser that housed all the dinnerware to swing silently back into position, concealing the passageway once again.

The children sat at the table and all caught their breath, as Reginald began pouring them all a drink of fresh water from a glass pitcher in the centre of the table. He also unwrapped some bread rolls that had been preserved from the previous evening and they all devoured them hungrily.

Durgle helped Lord Meanwhistle to seat himself at the head of the table and fetched him a drink and a roll and placed them before him. He leant and whispered in his ear.

"My final act to prove my loyalty,

is to name our betrayer who acts like royalty.

It was her, my Lord, the love of your life.

She wants it allback, your good lady wife!"

Meanwhistle coughed and choked as Durgle told him who was responsible for misleading him, causing everyone else in the room to switch their attention to the head of the table.