Chapter 24

Durgle dropped the old fashioned telephone receiver back into the cradle. It was a cream coloured telephone that over the years of being handled with grimy and oily hands was now a rather unsightly shade of dull grey.

It had the now out-of-date circular central dial where you had to slip your finger in the hole of the number you wished to dial and turn it around to the fastened stopper, before releasing it to spin back into the original start position. It made dialling telephone numbers a long and painful task that was often prone to mistakes being made so It was appropriate then, that Durgle had just taken a call on the old machine that also required him to undertake a quite bizarre task that was going to be painful and also likely to end in a mistake.

The Master had been very clear when giving the instructions. He was to make the beast ready for one last attack and he was instructed to make it appear as terrifying as he possibly could.

He turned and began to wander aimlessly around his workshop and as he searched throughout his many shelves and storage boxes for materials, he found himself wondering why on Earth the Master had asked him to make his creation even more threatening than it already was?

He began grabbing random objects and throwing them onto a pile on the floor. Thwack! A couple of old and moth-eaten tan carpets from luxury models of cars that had long since stopped being made landed on the ground causing a cloud of dust to rise up into the air. They were followed by a selection of old pipes, foam pieces, a couple of torches and a further range of miscellaneous items that made what could only be described as a pile of junk.

They all landed next to where the beast sat. The terrible beast that was the source of so much trouble rested in the gloom silently and lifelessly. It did not move an inch, despite the noise that Durgle made. It was waiting until the time when it would become driven to create even more mayhem and terror. And that time was fast approaching as the night would soon begin to draw in and twilight would soon approach.

"Must work hard and must work fast, I pray this time willbe the last," 

Durgle chanted to himself, as he once again surrendered to thewill and commands of the Master.