Chapter 39

That very afternoon the judges from the Flowers in Bloom competition arrived and inspected the town. They were incredibly impressed with all the displays that the town had prepared and marked the contribution quite highly as a result.

Thanks to Durgle's efforts of rectifying the wanton vandalism that morning with his reformed machine the town park and nursery were very presentable indeed. They weren't spectacular, but then again, they weren't exactly spectacular in the beginning. Durgle's remedial actions had ensured that there was freshly budding flowers and plants available for everyone's enjoyment and the judges commented on how healthy and strong the displays were bound to be when they were fully grown.

The school was very good indeed and also received praise and admiration from the judges. They said it was very close to winning the regional prize of one thousand pounds, such was the attractiveness of the bouquets and arrangements on display. Unfortunately, it was marginally overshadowed by the magnificent splendour of the newly transformed Meanwhistle Manor, incorporating Sunnydays Campsite.

Lord Meanwhistle accepted the prize money eagerly, quite unable to believe his luck. He was gracious and welcoming to all the judges and very willing to answer any and all questions that they or the campers asked of him.

The one and only time he developed any lack of hearing was when Durgle innocently enquired if he were to receive a share of the prize money for his obvious efforts and contributions, Meanwhistle never actually acknowledged or answered him.

Lord Melvyn and Lady Angelica Meanwhistle used the publicity from their success to announce their plans to manage and run the campsite as well as they could and to further develop the plot and services available.

They negotiated with Durgle and agreed to pay him a very generous wage for modernising the whole site with unique and wonderful labour saving inventions for campers. Their joint ambition was to achieve recognition for running the best campsite in the country

Both Angelica and Melvyn were fully aware that the conclusion of the competition was not the end of their adventure, but rather the beginning of something that would be absolutely magnificent.

Reginald basked in his parents love for a further two weeks before he felt the urge to return to where he was also truly happiest. He was overjoyed to witness his mum and dad together but he also realised that he was far too independent and in need of his privacy to remain in the confines of the Manor and Diddlesbury for the long term.

Making promises to return soon, and after receiving an abundance of hugs, kisses and cuddles from his teary mother and plenty of manly hugs, handshakes and pats on the back from his father, he once again made the journey from the manor into the great unknown of the big wide world. The temptation of travelling was too great now as the lifestyle was permanently infused in his soul.

As he strode confidently away from the Manor he once again considered his options of where to explore and couldn't help but feel drawn towards a further destination. Perhaps he would discover America this time?

Larry, Eddie and Max were all very happy with the final turn of events and extremely pleased to have been a part of the adventure that reconciled their new and very dear friends Angelica, Melvyn, Reginald and Durgle.

They were also exceptionally pleased with the brand new top of the range mountain bikes and full range of accessories that they were all presented with by the Meanwhistle's as a small token of their appreciation!

The three children all remained the best of friends and spent the remainder of the summer together. They were determined to enjoy their holiday as much as they could, and were always on the lookout for their next adventure.

They finally understood that life itself is the greatest adventure of all and that every day brings an opportunity to live it to the full, even when you live in a boring town like Diddlesbury.

Just large enough tohave its own quite magnificent campsite, and just small enough to have a strongsense of community that will rally and work together to enter silly flowercompetitions.