Chapter 8: Corporal Misuna Jiyang

"Seriously?" Hernamidos spat on the female commando. "You ordered Barracuda 2B48 to stand down?"

The orange-haired girl winced, rubbing her face.

"Answer me, Corporal Misuna Jiyang!" The General cracked his knuckles.

"Y-yes, General."

"And why exactly did you do that?"

Misuna shook with fear, avoiding eye contact with the General.

"Tell me!" Hernamidos stomped. "What damn good reason do you have to make our Federation look bad?"

"The targets weren't Vulpi," Misuna adjusted her red glasses. "I-I thought we were defending humans from the fox freaks. We're not supposed to kill humans, right?"

"Idiot!" Hernamidos slapped her again. "There were humans who kissed the feet of fox devils!"

"B-but..."

"No, buts! Do you remember your training simulations back at the Academy? I thought you're better than this, Corporal!"

"But the civilians in the simulation attacked us. The ones we're talking about didn't."

"Are you serious? They still worshiped the fox freaks! Dammit, Corporal. Please tell me you're joking. It sounds like you didn't learn anything from the Academy!"

Poor girl. Calice saw Hernamidos slap Misuna again. I feel bad for her, but I don't know if I should do anything.

She then saw shadows approaching from a hallway junction. Calice jolted away from the window to hide. She spotted Agent Dacos with two crusader droids walking past.

"Have you found her yet?" The psychic agent said to his earpiece.

Oh, it's that dumb guy, Calice observed.

"No? Double your search! Make sure all exits are sealed!" Dacos yelled. "Crazy! Now that Calice is gone, I need to find her before General Hernamidos yells at me again! Seriously, why does everyone yell at me? Does a single person appreciate my efforts here?"

The droids stared at him.

"Right," Dacos rolled his eyes. "You guys can't talk."

Once the three left, Calice ran back to the window.

"May I remind you, Corporal?" Hernamidos snapped a cigar into his mouth. "This isn't the first time this has happened! Do you know that? You are a real pain in the ass!"

Misuna rubbed her bruised face, shedding tears.

"I put up with you because you have the skill," The General took a puff of his cigar. "You and Corporal Liyan are the most talented of our Reaper Squad force. I worked my butt off to cover you from the Supreme Herald, remember?"

Misuna gave a tiny nod.

"Corporal Liyan," Hernamidos turned to the commando with spiraling goggles. "Will you please escort Corporal Jiyang to the simulation center?"

"W-what?" Misuna gasped. "No, please! I need to rest."

"We have to deal with this issue now, Corporal Jiyang," Hernamidos flicked his cigar into the trash can. "You need more time in the simulation until your mentality is fixed for combat."

"But I don't want to!" Misuna cried.

Should I help her? Calice hid, watching the commandos force Misuna across the hall. No way! I should not do that! But my parents told me those simulations would turn people into killers. What happens if she goes there?